hydraulic top-link ?

/ hydraulic top-link ? #1  

kch

Bronze Member
Buying a new tractor and was considering a hydraulic top-link for using a box blade. I have a hydraulic top-link on another tractor for a TR3 rake but on a smaller B2910 do you think it is necessary considering the cost for the hydraulic connection is $600 and the link is $250. The TR3 weighs 900-1000lbs but for a 60 inch box blade is it worth the $$$? Any thoughts?

/ hydraulic top-link ? #2  
Is it worth it? Absolutely! I added it to my B2710 primarily for using the 60" box blade, but it also made hooking up other implements easier, tilting mowers forward to get them higher after picking them up with the 3-point to inspect and/or clean the underside, or to get them higher when going onto or off the trailer, etc.

/ hydraulic top-link ? #3  
if it is not a strain n your $$$$ get it. see BIRDS post. what he don;t know about owning and operating a cut, ain't worth knowing./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ hydraulic top-link ? #4  
Hi,

I want one!

But I also was surprised how easy it was for me to lean back and adjust the top link on my B2910 from the seat when using the box blade I got a couple months ago.

Now I could not adjust it on the fly. I stopped and then adjusted and tried the new setting, and adjusted again as needed.

Having no prior experience with the box blade, from reading posts here I got the impression that I would have to stop and get off the tractor to make adjustments. No one said that, I just thought it. In that frame of mind I was happily surprised that I could make the adjustments from the seat.

My conclusion is that the hydraulic top link is not needed on the b2910, but I still want one and will probably either buy a kit or do it myself in the future by buying the parts!

I should also point out that I ended up with a cheap KK box blace, and that may change the equation, as it probably only weighs about 400 lbs, if that.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ hydraulic top-link ? #5  
That $600 and $250 seems high. Not Kubota, but a rear remote (installed by the dealer, fitting nicely into the fender slot) on my New Holland TC40D was $250. I purchased a hydraulic top link from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.green-mfg.com/?p=toplink.php>Green Manufacturing</A> for $90 and $9 shipping. It was at my door in three days. Hoses were $50 dollars, and I was in business.

/ hydraulic top-link ? #6  
Chris, where did you get the hoses, the same place?

/ hydraulic top-link ? #7  
kch
Here is a<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=53434&fpart=2#Post53434> link </A>to a list of parts that I bought for the Top N Tilt that I installed on my 2910. I find the kit is well worth the price. As other have said it helps in a lot of other uses besides using a Box Blade.

/ hydraulic top-link ? #8  
Doc,

That sure sounds like one heck of a deal. Is that hydraulic top link fairly 'standard' or is there such a thing as a standard for them? Was it fairly easy to install and connect to your hydraulic system? Were there instructions that a non-mechanically-inclined person could successfullly follow? How does it work now that you have it on?

/ hydraulic top-link ? #9  
I just referred back to Ron's equipment list and prices for his 'Top-n-Tilt' set up and am confused. I'm sure I'm showing my naivete' here, but what is the difference between a hydraulic top link as mentioned above earlier in this thread and the 'Top-n-Tilt' set up you describe? What does one do that the other won't or can't do?

Also, would something like either one of those be compatible with a quick attach assembly such as the Speeco or Deere's I-Match system? Would either be superior and why?

I know this is a lot of stuff to ask in one post but I'm truly lost on this stuff. Any insights anyone can offer will certainly be appreciated. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ hydraulic top-link ? #10  
Top = hydraulic toplink.
Tilt = hydraulic right 3ph adjuster instead of the crank arrangement found on most tractors.

Top allows you to change the angle of attack of a box blade. Tilt allows you to tilt the box blade to the left or right for, for example, putting a crown on a road.

I don't have personal experience, but I can not see why either of these would not be compatible with a quick hitch.