Help with basic project, double acting cylinder

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #1  

Luciano

Not hydraulic but pneumatic, it may not make a difference in my project. Please help with what may be for some of you a basic school project: I need to connect a double acting air cylinder. 7 inch stroke, probably a 2 inch bore, or less. Power is not very important, I will only need about 20-30 lbs to actuate a lever. Speed is important, I need it to complete between 15-20 cycles a minute with smooth controled speed strokes. The system needs to be automated.
I will be using a 5 way 4 port solenoid valve with 2 meter out flow control valves, 1/4 inch NPT ports big enough I am thinking. Question is how do I make the sytem automated without spending a lot? Suggestions much apreciated. Feel free to suggest a different type valve.

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #2  
:welcome:
Sounds like a crank on a adjustable rpm motor that would slide the contol valve back and forth would be what I would look into for starters.
Something akin to a windshield wiper motor and mechanism comes to mind.

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #3  
Not hydraulic but pneumatic, it may not make a difference in my project. Please help with what may be for some of you a basic school project: I need to connect a double acting air cylinder. 7 inch stroke, probably a 2 inch bore, or less. Power is not very important, I will only need about 20-30 lbs to actuate a lever. Speed is important, I need it to complete between 15-20 cycles a minute with smooth controled speed strokes. The system needs to be automated.
I will be using a 5 way 4 port solenoid valve with 2 meter out flow control valves, 1/4 inch NPT ports big enough I am thinking. Question is how do I make the sytem automated without spending a lot? Suggestions much apreciated. Feel free to suggest a different type valve.
I have a relay ladder logic circuit that makes a DA cylinder automatic extend-retract for as long as you do not push the stop button....
budget probably less than 30$

I wrote it by hand, for another forum a few years ago....
pressautocyclexx.jpg

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder
Thank you both.

AKKAMAAN, this is great. Unfortunately I am not very good with circuit boards(History major, go figure) do I wire the valve at L1 and L2 by the D6 and D7 diodes? This is for a two position valve ?

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #5  
Thank you both.

AKKAMAAN, this is great. Unfortunately I am not very good with circuit boards(History major, go figure) do I wire the valve at L1 and L2 by the D6 and D7 diodes? This is for a two position valve ?

You do not need a circuit board...
The relays must have this configuration....
Double_pole_DOUBLE_THROW_RELAY.jpg

Get relays with plug in sockets, and solder points on the sockets...some shrink tubing to protect solder points from mis connections

Just now I am not updated on shopping this hardware, but there are great online suppliers around....
BTW...try radio shack...

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #7  
do I wire the valve at L1 and L2 by the D6 and D7 diodes? This is for a two position valve ?

Thats right, it is actually C1 and C2....sorry for my poor hand typing LOL

It was designed for for a 3-position hydraulic valve...no coils activated, valve in neutral, and cylinder cycling stops.
But pneumatic, you can use two 2-pos valves too...or your 3-pos 5-way valve....same result

If you need time delay between cycles we can trow in a cpl time relays....

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder #8  
Although it is likely there are many other good places, I have had good luck electrical components from Mouser.com.

/ Help with basic project, double acting cylinder
Can I use a relay with timing function? Like this one?

McMaster-Carr