JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather

/ JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #1  

Lester Ware

Tractor
John Deere 5500
I purchased a 5500 John Deere, ag, diesel tractor (1997) a few months ago. The tractor very well could have been sitting outside for sometime. I have used it around the farm moving around bales using the front end loader and the three point hitch on the back. Both of these being hydraulic, I was very pleased at the quietness and power obtained at even idle rpms. I just knew the hyd. in this tractor was solid as a rock. Overall everything just worked flawlessly.

When I purchased the tractor, the hyd. fluid was perfectly clean and had perfect clarity to the eye. No foam and no clouding. I still cleaned and replaced the hyd. filter. The hyd fluid is still today in this same visual condition. I'm saying this with the thought of water possibly being present in the system.

Problem: Now that the weather has reached 20 deg. F, the tractor starts just like a diesel does in low temps.. Because the steering is hydraulic let me say that the steering works at the tractors cold start. It's a little jerky but but soon smooths out. Also to note that this tractor has two hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic configuration, I'm unsure of.

The joy stick which operates the end loader does nothing. No movement no sound, nothing. Likewise the three point hitch makes no movement or sound. When the tractor water temp. gauge moves into the operating area of the gauge, the hydraulics start to move the loader and three point hitch. The three point hitch is the first to start some movement. This movement is very slow and jumpy. As the hyd. are exercised and warmed, the loader and hitch smooth out. Once the hyd. system is warm, it works great. I understand that it's normal for the rough movement while the fluid is still cold but my concern is "no movement".

I live in Kentucky and our dealer offer two viscosity hydraulic/transmission fluids, but I have never had the need to change to the thinner in the winter. I have farmed for over fifty years and I'm continually amazed at how little I know.

Please respond with any questions.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #2  
Part number RE72605 (part number #27) in the diagram is a hydraulic temperature switch. It is a $58.00 part. Can anyone shed a little light on the role of this switch?

Last edited:
   / JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #3  
I have same problem on my 1996 John Deere 5500. It almost seems like it has an air leak in the suction line that runs from the back of the tractor to the front where the pump is located but I've not figured it out either. It is fine in summer, but colder weather I waste time getting hydraulics working and getting air out.

/ JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #4  
Part number RE72605 (part number #27) in the diagram is a hydraulic temperature switch. It is a $58.00 part. Can anyone shed a little light on the role of this switch?

Can you trace the wires from this switch? It could go to a valve to allow the hyd to warm up before using. It could go to a indicator light or meter.

Is it a temp or bypass switch.

Since the switch is on the filter housing, it could indicate the filter is bypassing or needs to be changed.

Last edited:
   / JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #5  
Lester,

Since everything seems to work when the fluid is warm, it would indicate the need for a wider range viscosity fluid. Do you have factory fluid in it now, and is it tailored for the climate you live in.

/ JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #6  
Put a block heater in the tractor. It will warm up much faster.:thumbsup:

/ JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #7  
I'm using JD premium oil recommended by the JD dealer. Hydraulic filter & oil changed yearly, so I don't think filter bypass is the issue. No problem with starting engine in cold weather & engine warms up fine, but hydraulic does not warm up unless it can circulate. This might be a clue, After I shut down from use, I sometimes hear air leaking out of rear dipstick and the oil looks to have air bubbles when I check the oil afer use. I don't recall seeing any wires connecting per the posted chart. Outside temp of 50 is where the problem starts. I know the prior owner had the dealer replace the clutch so I wonder if any of the rubber connecting hoses on the supply side running from back to front pump are leaking...I see no evidence of any leak.

/ JD 5500 ag. tractor with Hydraulic problems in cold weather #8  
You might consider installing a hyd gage and determine if and when you have fluid flow and pressure.

If that air you see is caused by a suction leak, you will not see any fluid

Hydraulics for JD5500

• Pressure: 2650
• Standard Valves: 2
• Steering Pump Flow: 7
• Type: open center
• Valve Flow: 11.4 gpm