Hydraulic Lift Quit Working

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #1  

swampdog

Tractor
Ford 601 Workmaster
I have a 1958 Ford 601 Workmaster and when I started it today the hydraulics did not work. Last time I used it everything was fine. I checked the fluid level and it was fine. With the tractor running I loosened, then removed the allen screw in the pump and no fluid came out. I can't even see any fluid when I look into the hole where I removed the screw. Is it the pump? With the tractor running I can manually (by hand) raise and lower the arms without any resistance. What can I do to verify the problem?

I am also a little confused about the dip stick. On one side of the dip stick it says "pedestal oil level" with an arrow and a line and on the same side of the stick it also says "Filler opening" with and arrow and line. The lines are on opposite ends of the stick. What is this for? The opposite side of the stick seems to be for checking the fluid level. It says Hydraulic system all cylinders fully extended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #2  
Can you install a gage between the pump and the first valve? Can you determine if the pump is turning?

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #3  
swampdog said:
I have a 1958 Ford 601 Workmaster and when I started it today the hydraulics did not work. Last time I used it everything was fine. I checked the fluid level and it was fine. With the tractor running I loosened, then removed the allen screw in the pump and no fluid came out. I can't even see any fluid when I look into the hole where I removed the screw. Is it the pump? With the tractor running I can manually (by hand) raise and lower the arms without any resistance. What can I do to verify the problem?

I am also a little confused about the dip stick. On one side of the dip stick it says "pedestal oil level" with an arrow and a line and on the same side of the stick it also says "Filler opening" with and arrow and line. The lines are on opposite ends of the stick. What is this for? The opposite side of the stick seems to be for checking the fluid level. It says Hydraulic system all cylinders fully extended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the pump lost it's prime. Since you took out the plug, oil should have come out at a good rate. It was working when you parked it makes me think of two possibilities. First, there could be an air leak or crack in the aluminum manifold to the pump. Second, and more likely,the shaft seal within the pump has failed.

A little trick I learned in priming these, try jacking up the rear end as high as possible in an attempt to get the pump below the oil level. Even over filling the hydraulic section helps. Then try bleeding the pump as you did before. That might be enough to get the seal wet, and allow it to pull the oil in.

The dipstick "pedestal oil level" I believe is for either a Dexta loader, or an implement. Keep using the other side.

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #4  
Does the tractor have one or more rear auxillary Hyd valves?

A lot of thoss are spring loaded (ie designed to go back to neutral when released) and sometimed they can stick in one or the other open position. When that happens, the lift won't "lift".

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #5  
Move your 3pt lever. It may be in the relief mode. With the lever all the way up, the lift arms are fully raised, and then the valve goes into relief mode. Push the 3pt valve lever down a little.

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #6  
Does the tractor have one or more rear auxillary Hyd valves?

A lot of thoss are spring loaded (ie designed to go back to neutral when released) and sometimed they can stick in one or the other open position. When that happens, the lift won't "lift".

BUT.. the pump should still be pumping... remember.. the remotes on a ford are at the lift cover and the pump is cam driven from the engine..

I'd dribble some oil into the allen head hole on the pump and keep adding it till it would not take it.. then I'd crank her up and see if she made oil.. if not, then put a rubber tipped air gun to the hyd dipstick port and give her just a few psi of pressure while she was running

ps.. if you are in freezing temp areas, water could be frozen in the suction line or blocking the suction port. BTDT with my 740 when i brought it home from N ga in sub freezing temps and a non working lift.

the unit is NOT operating in relief with the 3pt control all the way up!!!

when the lift arms reach max travel, the unloading valve moves and oil is dumped to sump.. oil is not being pushed out of the relief!!!!

so far my bet is on ice, or loss of prime. loss of prime could be the fidgity orings on the manifold.. or more annoyingly and harder to deal with, the afore mentioned shaft seal.

ps.. the writing on the other side of the dipstick ain't for no dexta loader or implement. it's a uni dipstick that can be used in the rowcrops that have a front steering pedistal oil filled gear box....

also.. as for being able to lift the lift arms.. that's normal.. the rocker shaft is only loose coupled with a dogbone that rides against the piston in the cyl bore. when you manually lift the lift arms all it does is pull the dog bone away from the piston...

no real way to install a gauge between the pump and the first valve without installing a power beyond plate under the remote valve... besides.. removing the plug onthe pump is a great way to see if it is pumping.. no gauge needed..

swampdog: you really.. really need to buy a service manual for that machine!

post back..

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working
Thanks for all the help, I live in SC where the temperature is normally quite mild. It has been below freezing at night for several days and barley above freezing during the day which is extremely unusual for us. Even today the high was 34. My gut tells me it has something to do with the freezing temperatures. In a few days it is supposed to get back to more normal temperatures, I will check it out and give a report back.

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working #8  
i bought a 740 in n ga last year.. was advertised as working condition. when i went to get it.. it had no 3pt. pulling plug on the pump made no oil.

steered good tot he right, hard.. real hard tot he left. Owner was dismayed as he'd parke dit inthe shed a few months ago 'in running condition'. between that and a bad solenoid and a bad battery.. I got 500$ knocked off due to unknowns.

solenoid was a straight up issue.

after setting in florida a couple days I started draining stuff in prep to tear into steering and hyds.

about a pint of water came out of the front pedistal, and the hyd sump had more like a quart of water inthe botto,. I figure it sat and plugged the mouth of the suction line...

good luck

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Lift Quit Working
Here is an update for everyone who offered assistance. I took Sound Guys advice and put a little Hydraulic fluid in through the Allen Screw hole in the pump, I then started the engine and nothing happend at first but it started to lift slowly. I was able to use the tractor/lift Saturday but it does seem slightly slower lifting than it was before. Thanks for all the help, I hope it just lost it's prime and will continue working.