Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir?

/ Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir? #1  

gsdavis1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
In my continued efforts to add power steering to my Mitsubishi MT180HD, I am now puzzled on where to connect the relief line back to the tank.

I am attaching a schematic of my tractor hydraulics.

What make it so puzzling to me is that this tractor is hydrostatic drive so I believe that both the drive system and other hydraulics share the same tank or resevoir.

I am thinking of attaching to either of the spots highlighted by red circles. This is a line that runs from the filter housing to the left of the drive system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Greg

Attachments

• hydraulics.JPG
    hydraulics.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 469
   / Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir? #2  
You should be able to tee in to any return hose or pipe going to reservoir.

Last edited:
   / Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir?
The only line going to the tank (That I can see) is the one from the sediment filter at the bottom of the tank. I dont see any lines returning to the top of tht tank. Unless I adapt something to the filler hole and rework the dipstick.

Can anyone tell from the drawing how the fluid is flowing.

Here is a picture without my little red circles.

I wonder if the fluid runs through the cooler, then through the center of the filter, then out the side of the filter back to tank. Although I did blow air through this passage and did not see an air come out of the resevoir.

Greg

Attachments

• hydraulics.gif
    hydraulics.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 853
   / Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir? #5  
In my continued efforts to add power steering to my Mitsubishi MT180HD, I am now puzzled on where to connect the relief line back to the tank.

I am attaching a schematic of my tractor hydraulics.

What make it so puzzling to me is that this tractor is hydrostatic drive so I believe that both the drive system and other hydraulics share the same tank or resevoir.

I am thinking of attaching to either of the spots highlighted by red circles. This is a line that runs from the filter housing to the left of the drive system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Greg

Either of the two points you have marked should work depending on which side your return line will be routed. According to the drawing, that line is the return to the transmission and should have no pressure on it.

Thank you Gary! Now I just have to figure out how to tap in with fittings. The line is a steel line with flare nuts on each side.

/ Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir? #7  
Thank you Gary! Now I just have to figure out how to tap in with fittings. The line is a steel line with flare nuts on each side.

If you're going to install the return there, you need a Swagelok or similar compression type tee, with the "leg" of the tee having the matching fitting to your return line. Measure the distance the ends of the pipe will be apart when firmly bottomed in the tee, and cut that much out of the existing pipe.

Once the pipe is cut, install the tee, hook up your return line and you're finished.

Sean

/ Cannot figure out how to return back to tank / resevoir? #9  
I did the same as Dave. I have a Mitsubishi MTE 2000D and although it is a gear drive tractor, I faced the same predicament of how to return to tank when I put my FEL on. I simply ended up doing away with the dipstick/ fill screw in plug, which was located on top of the trans case between my legs. I used common pipe fittings available at any plumbing/hardware store. It worked out fine and threads were a perfect match. I was concerned that it would be in the way, look bad and be a hassle to not have the dipstick attached to the fill anymore but it really has not been an issue for me. When I check the fluid level I unscrew the hose and fitting then put the dipstick back in...inconvenient, yes but it is a 60 second deal and well worth it. In the end, ease and cost trumped the other methods. I shy away from pipe fittings for hydraulic use but since it is a return line, it doesn't see the same pressures as the supply side. I could not find a hydraulic fitting the correct size for the plug but I could have used Hyd fittings from the plug on up for the 90* but at that point of my install I was there to get it done and have not worried about it since.

Attachments

• Hyd return 001.jpg
    Hyd return 001.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 195
Dave,

Do you have a picture of your setup? Did you keep the use of the dipstick and filler cap?

Thanks
Greg