Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN??

/ Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN?? #1  

AKKAMAAN

Veteran Member
Got my newsletter from the "Aussie", Brendan Casey. Must wonder if he has been reading our posts here at TBN...:laughing:

Hello again Per,

In your last hydraulics email, we talked about
a rarely considered way air can enter the
high pressure side of a hydraulic system.

Continuing on the subject of plumbing,
I got this from one of our members:

"OK, I've done the research and read the results,
and googled, but am still confused about "power beyond"
and it's relevance when trying to hook up
a second directional control valve."

"I've found nothing that explains exactly why it
is needed and what it really does."

"I'm talking about simple three position valves -
up, neutral/hold, down - which have pressure in,
tank out, and working ports for a double
acting cylinder."

"In an open center system, I would simply put
the second valve in series with the first one -
the return line of the first feeds the pressure
line of the second, and the return line of
the second goes to tank."

"This seems to be such a simple arrangement - and
power beyond seems to be a such a very big deal -
that I have obviously missed some important point."

Yes he has. Connecting the tank port of
the first valve to the pressure port the second
will do two things:

When the first valve is used at the same time
as the second, there is no way for the return oil
from the first valve to get back to tank; and

When the second valve is used, the
tank/return gallery in the first valve
will be pressurized and blow the spool seals.

Power beyond is a facility in the valve
where a plug is inserted between the pressure
and return galleries.

Pump flow can then be "carried over" to another
valve downstream - so when that valve is used,
it pressurizes the pressure gallery in the
upstream valve but NOT the return gallery.

For a more detailed explanation with line drawings
point your browser to:
Hydraulic valve power beyond or high pressure carry over

/ Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN?? #2  
What are you trying to say about him or his knowledge. Do you think he is knowledgeable in hydraulics? I have emailed questions to him and other manufacturers about hydraulics. I have made many phone calls concerning hyd to the hyd engineers about hyd in order to help me have a better understanding of hyd. It becomes important when some people make blanket statements about how some things work, or no one knows how certain things work. Each of us have made mistakes along the way, and the true answer is always good to know.

I can almost bet that he or his staff reads this forum.

/ Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN?? #3  
What are you trying to say about him or his knowledge. Do you think he is knowledgeable in hydraulics? I have emailed questions to him and other manufacturers about hydraulics. I have made many phone calls concerning hyd to the hyd engineers about hyd in order to help me have a better understanding of hyd. It becomes important when some people make blanket statements about how some things work, or no one knows how certain things work. Each of us have made mistakes along the way, and the true answer is always good to know.

I can almost bet that he or his staff reads this forum.

I think a lot of us here probably subscribe to his newsletter.....and Casey VERY likely does read the popular hydraulic forums. It is obvious that while Casey may still do field work, he has definitely put a lot of effort into making a web presence so why wouldn't he read forums to see what common topic matter is and highlight it to both help us and himself. Nothing wrong with that for either of us. I did not get the feel that AKKAMAAN was attacking Casey or making fun of anyone who reads his newsletter/website. Heck, he obviously looks at it. I think he was simply pointing out that Casey had addressed a very common subject here on TBN. Personally, I too find it "interesting" (great, wonderful, helpful) that he did this. A lot of Casey's subject matter is not so obviously applicable to the hydraulics laymen in the "tractor" crowd, even though there is something to be learned and applied to tractors and for anyone wanting a better better understanding of hydraulics from nearly all of it. Kudos to Casey and to AKKAMAAN for posting this.

/ Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN?? #4  
My post was simply to see what he thought about Casey.

/ Is Brendan Casey an under cover member at TBN??
My post was simply to see what he thought about Casey.

Thank you J_J for your reply! I took it for what you meant it to be. :thumbsup:
Btw Kernopelli pretty much nailed it! Thx Kernopelli!

One can not say who is the greatest hydraulic guru in the world, and I truly do not think it is Brendan Casey. I think that there are plenty of hydraulic "nerds" sitting at their engineering desks, that are more talented than anyone that shows up in public, online or where ever....

What proofed that Bobby Fischer was the best chess player in the world, when he won the title?? Did the best ones ever show up for championship??

I do not know if B. Casey have "invented" anything new or advanced in hydraulics. But he SURE have filled a niche with his online presence. This niche is to in a simple way, explain and describe, common basic hydraulic eye opening misconceptions and mind-errors, that both amateurs and professionals can come across. And he have made that to a great online business too!
I am sure there are many segments in hydraulics that he is still "learning" the depth of, and when he have got that "figured out", I am sure he will send out a little news letter about his simple and pedagogically expressed conclusions. THAT is his great niche in hydraulics.

I respect Brendan Casey for what he represent. If I would (which wont happen LOL) need some, for example, very advanced hydraulic motion control system, for a fighter jet simulator or an advanced roller coster, I might be better off, making a call to that expert in Vancouver WA, or in Turku Finland.

I do not read the entire posting of everything he sends out. But I do pay attention about subjects that we "forum" about here at TBN. Thats why I posted this last newsletter from Brendan Casey. :D