Hydro power a finishing mower..

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #1  

wetstuff

Silver Member
Tractor
J-D 1070, Furgeson F-40
I my local fabricator make a helluva nice mount for a Meyers plow for my JD 1070 (about 38hp)

JD_frame.JPG

.. Since I can leave the mount on 100% of the time if I want (the FEL comes on/off without disturbing it..) I was thinking: "Hmmm .. Maybe I can have Hank fab a brackets for my 72" finishing mower on the front of the tractor?" ..but there's no PTO up front. But, I'd love to have a front mower.

I scanned the first dozen pages here - and saw no reference to 'mowers', which is probably pretty ominous.. But I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Jim

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #2  
Very simple, You will not have the hydraulic flow to operate a mower from your tractor's system. You would have to run a PTO powered hydraulic pump, separate tank, filter, hoses and all from the rear of the tractor to the front. Looking at 1k in parts alone.

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #3  
I am a big fan of putting my implements on the front, mostly cuz
I leave my backhoe always mounted.

You are correct that there are not that many TBN threads that deal
with converting PTO-driven implements to hydraulic motor drive.
Here is one I did for a concrete mixer.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/152388-converting-3-pt-concrete-mixer.html

Note that if your hyd motor needs to spin something fast, and may
run into the power limits of your engine, your design problem is a
bit bigger. Do you know your power requirements?

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #4  
If you have about 8 GPM's and 2750 psi, then you could power a 2 cu in hyd motor on a 48 in deck with three blades. Blade speed will be about 934 rpm. This is similar to the Power-Trac finish deck.

/ Hydro power a finishing mower..
Hmmmmm.. if maybe, I was cutting grass for $$...

I have a 5ac pasture I just need to keep the weeds down, so $1K in parts ...and then to summon the brain power or initiative of DFK is somewhat outside my ability. Thanks for the reply.

...I'm learning more each day here. Cheers.

Jim

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #6  
I'm going to put my flail on my loader, someday......

Right now I'm thinking of using a cross pump that'll produce 42hp at 540rpm, and a setup where I can move the tank and pump (the 'powerpak') from one rear implement to the next - like from my rear blade for winter snow, to my aerator or AerWay for summer, etc. I'm going to install 1" lines (7/8" is the recommended minimum) from the rear to the front of the tractor with 1" QD's front and back. I'm gonna use a reversible EH motor control valve, and a pressure relief valve near the tank. I'll use a motor with a female PTO coupler on the front to allow forward facing hookup to the PTO stem of the flail, etc.

This design is by Jenkinssp, Kenny, JJ, et al., I just compiled it!!

-Jer.

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #8  
jgrreed,

Have you determined the GPM's needed to power the flail? My 6 ft flail operates at 13 GPM, at 2750 psi. Will you have it forward or reverse turning.

/ Hydro power a finishing mower.. #9  
jgrreed,

Have you determined the GPM's needed to power the flail? My 6 ft flail operates at 13 GPM, at 2750 psi. Will you have it forward or reverse turning.

JJ,

I'm going to build the system to power a snowblower, the flail is an afterthought. The Cross pump that I'm looking at produces 42hp at 33gpm at 2000psi. That should be lots to drive my 76" blower, or my 74" flail. I just need to source the motor to accept that flow and produce a rotating force. I'm going to find a reversible motor, and use a reversible EH motor spool valve.

I'm going to run the flail in it's normal direction (reverse), but build my mounts on the flail so that I'm 'pushing' it with the roller on the back is doing it's job as normal.

-Jer.