Slow moving FEL

/ Slow moving FEL #1  

Gary Sweat

Platinum Member
I'll start this thread so I can continue troubleshooting the loader without confusing everyone in TRH's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sweat View Post
OK, I went ahead and ran the tractor in the garage. (cough, cough). Here is what I timed:

1000 rpm - loader to full height = 14 seconds

2000 rpm - Loader to full height = 11 seconds

Cylinders are 1.75" at 19" stroke

So there is some increase in speed just not much IMO

I also checked the return line to the tank and there is no oil flowing with the joystick in center position. Quite messy when you move it thoe.

If your numbers are somehow accurate, they indicate a 0.85 gpm pump flow at 1000rpm, and 1.1 gpm at 2000rpm....
accordingly flow is by passing somewhere.....go and get the pump tested during pressure (flow meter at both 1000rpm and 2000rpm), so we can get that pump eliminated from trouble shooting...
AKKAMAAN is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

/ Slow moving FEL
The times are correct as I ran it a couple of times at each rpm to make sure it was the same.

One thing I did get wrong was the stroke. The cylinders are 19" but they are extended about an inch when sitting on the ground, so it puts them at actually 18" travel for the timed test. I doubt that makes much difference.

Can a gear driven pump put out pressure but loose gpm? It doesn't seem to have any problems lifting loads on the loader or the 3pt.

/ Slow moving FEL
I dug around in the manual some more and came across a table that lists this model pump as 3.17 gpm. Maybe I'm seeing wear on the pump and time to replace it. Then again, maybe not:confused2:

/ Slow moving FEL #4  
I'll start this thread so I can continue troubleshooting the loader without confusing everyone in TRH's thread

If your numbers are somehow accurate, they indicate a 0.85 gpm pump flow at 1000rpm, and 1.1 gpm at 2000rpm....
accordingly flow is by passing somewhere.....go and get the pump tested during pressure (flow meter at both 1000rpm and 2000rpm), so we can get that pump eliminated from trouble shooting...
AKKAMAAN is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Great idea Gary....my head was spinning....:confused2:

Akkamaan makes alot of sense about testing that pump to evaluate it's efficiency and possibly rule it out.....that way you can work your way downstream if it's good......have it tested on the machine with everything together (don't take it off )....

/ Slow moving FEL #5  
Perhaps you forgot to multiply by 2 ?
larry

My point here is that it only takes about 1 gpm to move your cylinder with that speed....and you pump should put out 4gpm at some high rpm's.....so where are the other 3 gpm's......by passing some where....so I suggest you start with eliminting the pump by performing a pump test....See wdchyd's video....

Input and output numbers in yellow...

1000rpm.jpg

2000rpm.jpg

at
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgccLk48zZpwdHE2bjBLekE5cTZWMV9GalcyS0RvZFE&hl=en

Please check so my math is ok!!:thumbsup:

/ Slow moving FEL
Great idea Gary....my head was spinning....:confused2:

Akkamaan makes alot of sense about testing that pump to evaluate it's efficiency and possibly rule it out.....that way you can work your way downstream if it's good......have it tested on the machine with everything together (don't take it off )....

Mine to after a while:laughing:

So was the chart for one cylinder or two? If it's for one then doubling the flow would put it pretty close to the pump rating. I really hate to take the pump off and drive 75 miles to see if it is working properly but that may be the only way. Also, don't want to buy a $400.00 pump just find out I don't need one. Unless I can get a bigger one:D

/ Slow moving FEL #7  
I really hate to take the pump off and drive 75 miles to see if it is working properly but that may be the only way. Also, don't want to buy a $400.00 pump just find out I don't need one. Unless I can get a bigger one:D

No, don't take off the pump.....even with the proper test stand, nothing beats testing on the machine.....that way everything in the system is tested.....quicker, cheaper and tested right....It needs to be tested as a complete assembly for troubleshooting purposes.....

wdc

/ Slow moving FEL #8  
Mine to after a while:laughing:

So was the chart for one cylinder or two? If it's for one then doubling the flow would put it pretty close to the pump rating. I really hate to take the pump off and drive 75 miles to see if it is working properly but that may be the only way. Also, don't want to buy a $400.00 pump just find out I don't need one. Unless I can get a bigger one:D

Good Point ...Of course my "brain" only put one cylinder in....LOL....so gpm's gotta be doubled....1.7 and 2.2 gpm....still missing about 50% of flow...

Even if pump is bad, I have a hard time to see pump only as a fault....there gotta be some thing more into it....but you never know till it's ruled out...

/ Slow moving FEL
Good Point ...Of course my "brain" only put one cylinder in....LOL....so gpm's gotta be doubled....1.7 and 2.2 gpm....still missing about 50% of flow...

Even if pump is bad, I have a hard time to see pump only as a fault....there gotta be some thing more into it....but you never know till it's ruled out...

Did you catch the post about the 3.17 gpm for this model tractor? Looks like I'm loosing about 1 gpm somewhere. Can that come from loss in friction of the lines or size of the cylinder fittings? I don't know, that's why I'm asking:confused:

/ Slow moving FEL #10  
Did you catch the post about the 3.17 gpm for this model tractor? Looks like I'm loosing about 1 gpm somewhere. Can that come from loss in friction of the lines or size of the cylinder fittings? I don't know, that's why I'm asking:confused:

Friction creates power loss when there is motion present. Se turning wheel and a brake system. No heat is created when brakes are applied and wheel is not turning.

If flow going into a hose is 10gpm, the same flow will come out in the other end, but at a lower pressure. Unless part of flow is diverted, by passed or lost by leakage. That's why I am always preaching that restriction do not reduce flow in a constant flow system, restriction will control pressure.

In a constant pressure system, with a variable flow pump, a restriction will control flow.

Friction do not take away, or reduce flow....friction makes loss of pressure when there is a flow....no flow=no friction....much flow=much friction.....
Actually it is not the flow it self that makes friction, it is the internal friction in the fluid, that "quadruples" when fluid VELOCITY increases....so viscosity is an important part of the friction equation...

There can be 100gpm of flow, with almost no relative losses in friction, because velocity is low (large diameter lines), and there can be a lot of relative losses from friction from 1gpm, if the lines are to small...

Friction start to be an issue when velocity makes fluid turbulent more than laminar...now it make more sense that there is no friction losses when there is no flow, because there is no turbulence in a stationary (no flow) fluid....

If your pump is "bad", flow is lost by internal leakage in the pump...pressure caused by friction or restriction can increase that loss of flow....