air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics?

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
I have a 1962 IH B414. I just had the rod replaced in my power steering cylinder, plus seals. So I hooked it all back up and it's not working. I manually moved the control valve back & forth on the steering cylinder (with tractor at idle), and it didn't move. I also noticed that the left of my 2 cylinders for rolling the bucket didn't move either (no bucket on right now, so it was easy to see). I'm guessing (hoping?) I only have an air lock. I never bled anything and thought it would just bleed itself, but a few hydraulic guys told me I might have an airlock.

So how do I bleed this? Where do i start?

Thanks.

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #2  
Might loosen a fitting to let the air out (if that is really the problem).

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #3  
I have a 1962 IH B414. I just had the rod replaced in my power steering cylinder, plus seals. So I hooked it all back up and it's not working. I manually moved the control valve back & forth on the steering cylinder (with tractor at idle), and it didn't move. I also noticed that the left of my 2 cylinders for rolling the bucket didn't move either (no bucket on right now, so it was easy to see). I'm guessing (hoping?) I only have an air lock. I never bled anything and thought it would just bleed itself, but a few hydraulic guys told me I might have an airlock.

So how do I bleed this? Where do i start?

Thanks.

It is not an air issue, no bleeding necessary.
You have a problem to get oil flow from pump to cylinder....

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #4  
Is your 3pt working? That will tell you if you have flow and pressure. Air will normally purge after several attempts. Most cyl have the ports near the ends of the cyl, and would be hard to air lock. If you level the cyl and open the fittings, you might be able to bleed any air trapped. Have you actually gone through 5 to 10 cycles of cyl operation?

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics?
this thing has always had leakage issues and I would just top it up. it was really low when we replaced the cylinder. We drove tractor from the barn to the shop when it was really low, maybe even almost empty. THEN i filled the resevoir.

we haven't cycled it alot, since filling it up. so how long do I run it and cycle it to get the air out?

the PS was working before all of this, BUT the rod broke, thus reason for replacing it.

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #6  
If your pump is good, and you have cycled the cylinders a good number of times, with no good results, then a gage is necessary to see if there is flow and pressure. Maybe your PS is taking all the fluid. Does your PS go lock to lock with power?

i haven't really cycled the cylinders. I'll try that. there was probably a lot of air in there. The pump is relatively new and should be good.

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #8  
can always remove the pressure line and aiminto the sump and hit it till oil comes out.. install it to a compressed cyl, then do the same onthe others.. then work it back and forth.. then refill the sump.. etc..

how do I tell the difference between pressure line, and return line on each cylinder?

/ air lock? How do I bleed hydraulics? #10  
how do I tell the difference between pressure line, and return line on each cylinder?

Both ports on a DA cyl are pressure ports. Same fitting same hose. The lever on the valve and the correct hook up on the cyl will dictate the operation of the cyl. Pull back, something usually goes up, and push the lever fwd, things go down.