Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #1  

93Mustang

Silver Member
Tractor
JD ##@)
I am trying to determine the "best" spool valve to use to add a few hydraulic outlets to the rear of my tractor. I have the JD power beyond kit on my tractor already and would like to make use of it. I have done a bit of reading but am still confused as to what my options are and why I would choose one over the other. One of these will be used for a tilt cylindar and I think I would like "float" but not so sure. I moved this from a thread I hijacked... thank you for the help I have got so far! I planned on ordering something from Surplus Center but when I got to the site I realized I needed some help! I really have no idea what I am doing but figured I will learn.

- Dana

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #2  
Dana, A few key terms you need to know when selecting a valve:

# of spools (1,2,3)
3 position
4 way
Spring-return-to-center
PB capable
Adjustable PRV (pressure relief valve)

The advantage of a stack valve is that you can custom build the exact valve, in the exact configuration you want or need. You buy the IN side, and the OUT side, and then any "section" you want in between, they just bolt together with O-rings between them-it's very simple.

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing
OK - I see how this works. Interesting - DA stands for Dual Action? vs SA? What is the difference? Lets say I am getting three spools, should i get one floating, one 3 way detent (which I could not determine what 3 way means) and one just spring centered? Are there reasons to go with each?

Thank You!

Dana

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #4  
DA=Dual Acting, for use with...you guessed it-DA cylinders (ones with two hoses that can push and pull)

SA=Single Acting for SA cylinders (ones with one hose that only push or pull)

A "detented" spool is only good if you want to leave the spool active like for a motor or a logsplitter-I don't think you need that.

"I" would get one floating, and two spring-return-to-center spools myself.

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing
Thank You Kennyd. I do appreciate it. Now I need to do some ordering and go from here. Will let you know what I end up going with and doing. Good winter project! - Dana

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #7  
I am trying to determine the "best" spool valve to use to add a few hydraulic outlets to the rear of my tractor. I have the JD power beyond kit on my tractor already and would like to make use of it. I have done a bit of reading but am still confused as to what my options are and why I would choose one over the other. One of these will be used for a tilt cylindar and I think I would like "float" but not so sure. I moved this from a thread I hijacked... thank you for the help I have got so far! I planned on ordering something from Surplus Center but when I got to the site I realized I needed some help! I really have no idea what I am doing but figured I will learn.

- Dana

Dana, a floating option for your hydraulic side link is a good idea in my opinion. Works wonders while smoothing out a roadway with a rear blade or even a box blade for that matter. Keep in mind though that for this to work you can not have a tilt cylinder with the (DPOCV) check valve. There are people that seem to have problems with this and there are others that do not. Myself being one of the people that do not have any problems not having the DPOCV.

More things to consider before you order this stuff. :laughing: ;)

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #8  
He's so modest. :laughing:

Mustang, follow his 'Picasa' link and check out Kenny's own rear SCV installation. Class A job.
Thank you Willl:eek:

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #9  
Can anyone define "3 position" I think it means push-center-pull????
and also "4 way" does this refer to the number of connections? ie... one in , one return, 2 work ports?? Still trying to learn these hydraulic terms.
Thanks, Matt

/ Valve options for taking advantage of power beyond plumbing #10  
Can anyone define "3 position" I think it means push-center-pull????
and also "4 way" does this refer to the number of connections? ie... one in , one return, 2 work ports?? Still trying to learn these hydraulic terms.
Thanks, Matt

You got it.:thumbsup: