Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder?

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Do you need to \"prime\" a new hydraulic cylinder?

I'm ready to hook up my hydraulic top link. I've read about hydraulic systems having problems with air. If I just hook uo the lines to the top link and start using it, will the air be forced out, or do I have to "prime" the cylinder somehow?

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #2  
Re: Do you need to \"prime\" a new hydraulic cylinder?

No you do not need to prime a cylinder. Just operate the valve full stroke on the cylinder a few times and it should remove all the air for you.

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #3  

Yep, I was surprised to find this to be true myself. Just operate the cylinder and it takes care of itself.

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder?

Thanks, Art & Jerry.

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #5  

As others have indicated, you do not need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder. However, you do have to replenish the oil in the hydraulic reservoir that the cylinder is drawing from to make up the oil required for the cylinder and its lines.

Jack

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #6  

I agree with the others about not needing to prime it and JackIL has a good point about adding fluid. Be sure and pick up a couple quarts and top it off after you operate the hydraulic top link a couple times.

/ Do you need to "prime" a new hydraulic cylinder? #7  

You don't need to 'prime' it, but it wouldn't hurt to just fill it with fluid first, then cycle it until the rest of the air is purged. Cuts the purging time dramatically, and may result in fewer possible air problems. Just my .02