slow hydraulics when cold

/ slow hydraulics when cold #1  

buggie12

Tractor
jinma 284, massey 35 and 50 , international 674
My jinma 284 when cold, the hydraulics for steering and 3 point hitch take forever to warm up and work. The colder the longer the tractor has to run for hydraulics to work. What causes this and how can I fix it? Thanks

/ slow hydraulics when cold #2  
you need to run winter hydraulic fluid.I run donax made by shell.Its alot thinner for the cold

/ slow hydraulics when cold #3  
you need to run winter hydraulic fluid.I run donax made by shell.Its alot thinner for the cold

Interesting, do you have to change the fluid in the summer time or can you use it year round.

/ slow hydraulics when cold #4  
I think I have posted this elsewhere but an OLD farm trick is to build a jumper hose that runs from one remote side to the other and cylce the oil through. It will speed up the warming process. Depending on your environment changing to the lower weight oil can be beneficial but can also be spendy as well to change out your hyd oil twice a year.

/ slow hydraulics when cold #5  
Search the Chinese tractor thread and you will find this is a reasonably common complaint. Use AW 10 hydraulic fluid and a 100+ micron filter and it will speed things up considerably. I run AW10 all year in mine. Still if it is below -10 C it does take a little coaxing to warm up. Do a search on winterizing your Jinma and you will get a lot of info.

/ slow hydraulics when cold #6  
Changing to a 100 micron filter is generally a bad idea, hydraulic valves are not designed to have such large particles running through the system and this will eventually lead to problems, failures and higher expenses in the long run. On some of the large equipment we work on there are dedicated oil warming circuits, you flip a detented handle and let the oil warm up then it is easier to use.

/ slow hydraulics when cold #7  
Changing to a 100 micron filter is generally a bad idea, hydraulic valves are not designed to have such large particles running through the system and this will eventually lead to problems, failures and higher expenses in the long run.
I agree 100% bad idea...

/ slow hydraulics when cold #8  
Thanks for your knowledgeable comments Rocwin and Daman -- the filter on the Jinma is on the sump side which is also a bad idea. As a consequence if you use a filter that that is "normally" used on hydraulics you will starve the flow resulting in faster incurred damage:eek:. The alternative is to put in a different filtering system (also described in various places in the chinese tractor forum) or use a higher micron filter. In winter when it dips well below freezing I run a 100+ micron filter and change to a thirty micron filter for the rest of the year. On the Jinma you could also use a magnetic heater on the sump to heat the oil prior to use -- less sophisticated than the heavy equipment switch though:thumbsup: