Loader hydraulic problem

/ Loader hydraulic problem #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
I had made a post earlier on a problem that I had(have) with the loader on my Kubota tractor.It is an L4240 with 854 loader.The problem started this winter when I put the FEL mounted snow-plow on,it is a 8ft.Curtis.The dealer had plumbed the third function two years ago.I have used the plow for two years,and have a thumb that works.
When this problem occurs I have no loader functions.....then it will start working again.
The dealer had the tractor for four days and can't find a problem.The owner seems to think is "hydraulic lock".I don't think there is any cross-over or relief on the plow.If this is a "lock problem" how do I cure it?There are two cylinders for angling the plow.

/ Loader hydraulic problem #2  
When it stops working, does the engine labor at all? When the FEL stops working, does the 3PH also stop working?

All the Curtis plows I have seen come with a CRV (crossover relief valve), there should be a small aluminum block mounted to the plow frame with 4 hoses going to it. With or without it, I don't think that would be your problem.

I am leaning towards a problem in the solenoid valve-like it's getting stuck half way and blocking the ports.

/ Loader hydraulic problem
kennyd
thanks for the response...I remember that aluminum block on the plow when I bought it(used truck plow) when the dealer plumbed the plow they didn't reuse this part.
In my other life,I was a pipefitter,did a little hydraulics..but not familiar with tractor hydraulics.I had told the mechanic on the phone that I thought a spool was sticking,or some electrical problem.
Dealer has been great..tough problem to find...they are returning the tractor next week,all I can do see if the problem recurs.
I didn't send the plow with the tractor,had to do some repairs to it,if I have to send the tractor back I will send the plow with it.

/ Loader hydraulic problem #4  
It sounds like there may be ice forming in the hydraulic fluid, maybe inside the 3rd function valve.

Tractor was just seviced by the dealer,changed all fluids....replaced the third function valve switch,this is why I had thought they had created the problem.I have used for two years prior with no problems.

/ Loader hydraulic problem #6  
Again I will ask:
When it stops working, does the engine labor at all? When the FEL stops working, does the 3PH also stop working?

Two years ago I went to use my grapple, and the diverter would not work...I finally had to take the valve apart and I found that the spool had corrosion on it! Not much-but enough to keep the spool from sliding in the bore (see pictures below) This was before I had my pole barn and I kept the loader outside under a tarp. I guess there was just enough moisture in the fluid to do this.

My point of the story is to let you know that it only takes a very little something to stop the spool, and if its getting stuck then I think that may be the problem. Most spools have a hole so you can manually operate the valve, Nelson describes in post #8 of this thread.

Is yours a WR Long valve or Kubota?

Attachments

• DSC08886 (Large).JPG
    DSC08886 (Large).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC08890 (Large).JPG
    DSC08890 (Large).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 185
The engine does not labor when trying the FEL,didn't try the three point.
Like I said I was a maintenance pipefitter I know about dirt etc. in the spool,but like I said the dealer did the service,fluid,filters etc.

Forgot,I assume they used a Kubota third function valve,don't know for sure until I get the tractor back.

/ Loader hydraulic problem #9  
Hydraulic Lock sometimes can be explained by a restriction in the return line.....whereas pressure builds up and cannot return properly to tank unrestricted......

That said be sure to check easy stuff....ie: quick-connect not completely snapped shut (blocking flow), 3ph lever in "Raise" position, a spool on a control valve partially shifted (not centered)....

when this condition happens, is there pressure in the main outlet line from the pump when all/any functions in neutral position..??..or pressure build up in return line to tank.....