snow blower pump & motor

/ snow blower pump & motor #1  

wrench monkey

Tractor
Cat-426
Hi,

I'm a new member, just signed up...

I'd really appreciate some hydraulics advice or link to some pump/motor matching facility to help me select a right pump & motor for a snow blower. If anyone is familiar with the free online Gates belt simulator something like that would be ideal.

I built a mechanical one but want to raise the power a LOT and also convert to hydraulics. Here are some numbers for an approximately 450 hp system (anticipated 1/3 hydraulic losses included)

engine rpm 2000 range
impeller (motor) rpm 600-1000 (to be controllable either by engine rpm or otherwise and preferably no gearbox).

It's a special purpose blower to throw snow from one field right over into another one at least when throwing downwind. The one I built can only handle 4"-6" of medium consistency snow and then it has to slow down to a crawl or the engine begins to stall, it turns 600-1000 rpm using an 80hp engine & belt reduction. It throws 100-150 feet to the side and met my original prototype objectives but needs to be beefed up.

thanks

Attachments

• 06-seq-03-hook.png
    06-seq-03-hook.png
    900.1 KB · Views: 451
   / snow blower pump & motor #2  
WOW! Got a 200 GPM 3000 PSI pump laying around? 3" hydraulic lines? Price on this thing would astronomical if buying new components. The only thing I can think of off hand that would use hydraulics that size are BIG front end loaders, hydraulic shovels, maybe the largest track hoes. I have no idea where you would find a hydraulic motor that big. I wouldn't be able to afford to fill the hydraulic reservoir you would need . In my opinion, you need to be looking at a gear reduction and mechanical drive, not hydraulic. Is this thing going to be self propelled? Do you have the snowblower itself or are you planning on building that too? I saw some 1970s self-propelled airport snowblowers for sale that ought to do the trick for you. Less than $20,000 ready to go, if I remember correct.

Kim

/ snow blower pump & motor #3  
WOW! Got a 200 GPM 3000 PSI pump laying around? 3" hydraulic lines? Price on this thing would astronomical if buying new components.
..so would the hoses...if you can get 3" 3000psi hose....
The only thing I can think of off hand that would use hydraulics that size are BIG front end loaders, hydraulic shovels, maybe the largest track hoes. I have no idea where you would find a hydraulic motor that big. I wouldn't be able to afford to fill the hydraulic reservoir you would need . In my opinion, you need to be looking at a gear reduction and mechanical drive, not hydraulic.
+1:thumbsup:

/ snow blower pump & motor
WOW! Got a 200 GPM 3000 PSI pump laying around? 3" hydraulic lines? Price on this thing would astronomical if buying new components. The only thing I can think of off hand that would use hydraulics that size are BIG front end loaders, hydraulic shovels, maybe the largest track hoes. I have no idea where you would find a hydraulic motor that big. I wouldn't be able to afford to fill the hydraulic reservoir you would need . In my opinion, you need to be looking at a gear reduction and mechanical drive, not hydraulic. Is this thing going to be self propelled? Do you have the snowblower itself or are you planning on building that too? I saw some 1970s self-propelled airport snowblowers for sale that ought to do the trick for you. Less than $20,000 ready to go, if I remember correct.

Kim

That's what I was afraid of, too much weight & price. This unit is not self propelled and is picked up by the bucket without removing it so total weight needs to be below 2000. I was hoping to replace the engine part (700lbs) with less than half that as a hyd. motor and move the pump and a bigger engine behind the tractor. I can do the mechanical version half a dozen ways but cannot take any more weight. One possibility would be to make a blower from aluminum and/or use a light weight gas as opposed to diesel air cooled unairworthy P&W R985 of 450hp also at 700 lbs (pricey). There's a picture in another thread but here it is again. The throw distance is acceptable but I'd like to process 8"-10" at 10+ mph.

Attachments

• shakedown-26jan09-01.jpg
    shakedown-26jan09-01.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 246
   / snow blower pump & motor #5  
Neat looking set up you have there. Most DOT snow blowers would be set up in the bucket of your front end loader with engine attached. This way you can lift blower in to a big drift 6-7 feet in the air.

Neat looking set up you have there. Most DOT snow blowers would be set up in the bucket of your front end loader with engine attached. This way you can lift blower in to a big drift 6-7 feet in the air.

"In" the bucket? You have any links to pictures?

'round here most people pull the bucket right off using quick couplings. I wanted more than that i.e. to be able to leave home to do the neighbors and once on site blow snow while retaining the ability to just drop the blower to do bucketwork. With radio control that was a 30 second affair, but I had to pull the initial radio because of unreliability (it was a $12.00 ebay job). And yes, I do let myself go at times with snowbank sculpting just to rub it in :)))

Gotta be carefull though, if your engine don't have a deep sump jug under the pan you can oilstarve with very small engine angles! I want to increase throw by 50% and feeed speed by about 100%.

Attachments

• blo-rt.JPG
    blo-rt.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 271
  • P1040062.JPG
    P1040062.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 242
   / snow blower pump & motor #7  
Sorry,I meant in place of bucket. I would think you could do it though.
Do you really need to throw the snow that far?

Sorry,I meant in place of bucket. I would think you could do it though.
Do you really need to throw the snow that far?

Thanks for the intention but if you knew how much trouble I went to NOT to remove the buckert :)))

I also posted in some other forum under snow removal but can't even find it. Since it's a DIY issue I think I'll repost the project link under General-Forums/DIY. This thread was only for hydraulics and that'll pretty well remain a non-event.

/ snow blower pump & motor #9  
Wrench monkey, Very impressive setup you have there. Have you looked into the specs for any of the hydraulic operated skid steer blowers? PRONOVOST-PUMA SNOWBLOWERS Not sure how this would measure up to your system but gives you an idea. Yup they have a BIG hose but not quite 3".
Chad

I pulled the plug on hydraulics (again but this time for good, as that was a very early design option also). There just aren't any in industrial use and there must be good reasons for that.