Power Steering as small hydraulics?

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #1  

looknlearn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, 1953 Economy King 2409
I got a Power King tractor (similar in size to a farmall cub) and would like hydraulics to lift the 3 point. ( capacity aprox. 500lbs supposedly) Would it work to use a PS pump as the pump? I have one in the scrap bin and was wondering if it would work and how to hook it up.
Thanks

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #2  
A car pump is usually about 1.7 to 2.3 gal per minute flow rate. Truck pumps are 2.5 to 3.5 gal per minute. Pressures can go up to 1500 psi. Its worth a try if the pump is still any good, has the reservoir build it and you can get it mounted.

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #3  
I built a look alike Power King years ago and I used PS from a car 1.0GPM @ 1000psi.
The pump had too little volume ie slow action but at 1000 psi it had power for its size.

Craig Clayton

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #4  
Yes they will work. Some will not have a great amount of pressure but, will work for GT's.
Hook them up same way you would a regular hydraulic pump. Pressure line to valves (open center/tandem). Return back to reservoir. May need a bigger bottle for fluid.
Some guys with GT loaders will use pumps from GM, Ford, or Dodge trucks. Some I heard will give aprox 4 to 5 gpm.

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics?
Thanks guys,

I know at the PickandPull junkyard there are a few motor homes and at least one old city truck. I might see if I can get the pump off one of those.

I am a real novice in hydraulics. Is there a simple book describing hydraulics with diagrams around that any of you would recommend?

mmurphy, what is a GT? Not to familiar with all these abbreviations. Thanks

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #6  
i think it will be fine for that size a machine.

remember an 8n has a 2.85 gpm pump that operates at 1500-1700 psi and can lift 800-1000#

make your 3pt linkage correctly.. and even a 1 gpm pump at 1200 psi will get you a heavy load... remember..the cyl displacement is going to be small.. thus 1gpm is FINE

soundguy

/ Power Steering as small hydraulics? #7  
GT is garden tractor. I know to many acronyms.
Some of the guys posted tutorial sites just recently, so do a searh or glaance through a few posts or maybe some one may have time to find one!