slow FEL

/ slow FEL #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
My L4400 has a 1495 Rhino FEL. I've always thought it was a bit slow. Doesn't like to curl and lift at the same time. Even slow when lowering the empty bucket.

My Brother recently purchased an L3240 with Kubota loader. His loader is twice as fast as mine. My cylinders are a little bigger than his. Both use a Joystick. Both use the same size hose to feed the controller.

Could it be the flow rate of the controller?? I suspect a flow rate problem by it being slow to lower.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

/ slow FEL #2  
Try your loader with the 3 pt hitch at the bottom. On my Massey-Ferguson and TAFE, loader speed is directly tied to the adjustment of the various 3 pt hitch levers, though the Massey/TAFE system is quite primitive in comparison to most.

According to Tractordata.com Kubota pumps are powerful. There should be lots of performance there, though the guy who sold me a block splitter got rid of it because he couldn't get enough oil to it to make it work quickly. This was a newish, 35 hp Kubota, as I recall. His theory was that the lines are too narrow.

/ slow FEL #3  
My L4400 has a 1495 Rhino FEL. I've always thought it was a bit slow. Doesn't like to curl and lift at the same time. Even slow when lowering the empty bucket.

My Brother recently purchased an L3240 with Kubota loader. His loader is twice as fast as mine. My cylinders are a little bigger than his. Both use a Joystick. Both use the same size hose to feed the controller.

Could it be the flow rate of the controller?? I suspect a flow rate problem by it being slow to lower.

Since you cylinder are larger diameter...it seems to be that your pump flow is too low...need larger pump...
Control valve is not your problem...
You lifting force OK?

/ slow FEL #4  

The cyl should retract faster than extend.

If you know the GPM , and the cyl bore and shaft size, you can compute the speed of the cyl. To see if your valve or fittings have a restriction in them, remove one of the lift cyl base end hose. Start tractor and place hose in a clean 5 gal bucket and push lever to flow fluid out the removed hose for 10 sec. Multiply the volume by 6 for GPM's. If you get 1.5 gal in 10 sec. then you are pumping 9 gpm. If you pump 1 gal in 10 sec, then you are pumping 6 GPM.

2 in bore, 1 in shaft, 9 GPM, the cyl will extend at 11 in per sec

2 in bore, 1 in shaft, 6 GPM, the cyl will extend at 7.4 in per sec.

Say your cyl are 3 in bore, and 1.5 in shaft, at 9 GPM. your extend speed will be 4.9 in per sec.

Your cyl being larger will take longer to extend using the same GPM. You will have more force generated.

/ slow FEL #5  
You could have someone put a flow meter and gage on your system and check to see if the pump is pumping correct volume and pressure.

L4400 hyd flow is 7.8 GPM

L3240 hyd flow is 13.2 total GPM
valve flow is 8.4 GPM

/ slow FEL #7  
His tractor performance may be correct. It would be hard to compare to another tractor with different pump size, and different cyl. The only true way would be to know the pump GPM, and see if anything else is using some of the total fluid like PS. If the pump is good and pumping at stated volume, and the valve and hoses are sized correctly, then he should expect the cyl to perform at a certain level. If not trouble shooting is necessary.

The other tractor should out perform his tractor as to speed of cyl operation.

/ slow FEL #8  
So you assume PRV is by passing??

The PRV will not even come into play unless he overloads the system. If the PRV is stuck open, he should have some indication. Might even try removing and inspecting and cleaning if necessary, and then reset psi.

If both tractors would go side by side and both active the valve lever to raise the bucket at the same time, the tractor with the smaller cyl will be faster, with all things working right.

/ slow FEL #9  
ovrszd said:
Doesn't like to curl and lift at the same time. .

This issue is likely simple plumbing. Even though you have a single handle, there are two valves in series - one before the other. If one valve is diverting fluid for action A, there is no fluid flow for action B.
Mike

/ slow FEL #10  
On my joystick, if I try and curl at the same time as lift, both will be slower that if one function is working. The GPM is divided.