Position Control Lever won't stay in up position

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #1  

Paul F.

Tractor
Massey 1529
Massey Ferguson model 1528. Position control lever keeps sliding to down position with 3 point hitch dropping. Can hold lever in position or use front lever stop, but will not stay on it's own. It seemed to be slipping to the mid position prior to this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #2  
I do not know your model of tractor but the good thing is the lever appears to be functioning. Most lever that I have seen move in a slot or against a rail. I would guess down in the tractor there is something that causes friction to hold it in the set position.
If you put something like dense foam,rubber ?, bunge cord as a friction device on the lever that should hold it in position. I think.

Craig Clayton

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position
Thanks Craig. I'll try some of your suggestions. I was also going to try adjusting the lowering rate control knob to slower. Just can't figure out why it's happening, all of the external linkage seems intact. Started happening right after the warranty ran out, imagine that.

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #4  
Tighten the friction pad to keep the lever from falling on its own. Craig has the right "guess" and you just need to find it. The lowering control know isn't the solution to the problem...just delays the response. :)

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #5  
Is there not a adjustable mechanical stop in the lever slot? Ken Sweet

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position
Thanks for the advice beenthere. I'll look for a friction pad adjustment.
Sweettractors, yes it does, I'm using the mechanical stop as a workaround now. Thanks.

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #7  
Thanks for the advice beenthere. I'll look for a friction pad adjustment.
Sweettractors, yes it does, I'm using the mechanical stop as a workaround now. Thanks.

I have never owned a tractor that I did not have to use the mechanical stop. Ken Sweet

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #8  
I had the same issue. It was just an adjustment on the linkage as already stated. Took five minutes. Also if you have an adjustable stop you should use it to hold up your implement. That was the mistake I made.

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #9  
I have never owned a tractor that I did not have to use the mechanical stop. Ken Sweet

And I've never owned one that wasn't adjusted right so that I had to rely on the mechanical stop. That to me precludes picking a position for the 3 ph arms that are not at the lower end of their travel. It would be like having a throttle that one had to set the low idle with a stop, and otherwise be at WOT (wide open throttle).

Ken you surprise me on this one. :)
But I mean no offense to what you like to do.

As an esample, I raise and lower and position my wing plow using the 3 ph arms and am constantly adjusting the position to take as much bite out of the snow berm as the tractor can handle without scooting to the side. The snow berm varies and it requires constant repositioning. If I had no position control and the lever dropped on its own down to the "stop", that would be very frustrating to have to put up with. I vote for tightening the lever so it works right. :)

/ Position Control Lever won't stay in up position #10  
And I've never owned one that wasn't adjusted right so that I had to rely on the mechanical stop. That to me precludes picking a position for the 3 ph arms that are not at the lower end of their travel. It would be like having a throttle that one had to set the low idle with a stop, and otherwise be at WOT (wide open throttle).

Ken you surprise me on this one. :)
But I mean no offense to what you like to do.

As an esample, I raise and lower and position my wing plow using the 3 ph arms and am constantly adjusting the position to take as much bite out of the snow berm as the tractor can handle without scooting to the side. The snow berm varies and it requires constant repositioning. If I had no position control and the lever dropped on its own down to the "stop", that would be very frustrating to have to put up with. I vote for tightening the lever so it works right. :)

I think we are on the same page here. My tractors with mechanical stops also provide a 1/8 inch movement of the lever and go right into variable up and down position control. I do that when needed. Like in the situation you describe with the wing plow. When field plowing, I don't use position control, I go to draft control and let the tractor hydraulics take care of plow load and depth automatically. Ken Sweet