Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #12  
When you try to lift your disk does it sound like when you crank a vehicle steering wheel to far? My thought is, is since it looks like it could be a PS pump, maybe the pressure release in the pump is kicking on. I don't know much about hydraulics and my be way off here but that just came to mind when you said it squeaks when trying to lift the disc.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #13  
Not sure what you mean by "key way" ?

Here is an album of pictures of the pump, the control lever, and the cylinder. If anyone has any tips on how to fix/improve the hydraulic performance I'd appreciate anything. Thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/dcwatson84/TractorPump?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3lh_3Cz9zG7wE&feat=directlink

a key way on the pulley. i think you may me be out of fluid. the tank on your pump may be to small.when the rod on the cylinder is all the way out how much fluid is left in the tank?

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics
1) Yea when the cylinder doesnt want to lift anymore the sound resemebles the squeaking of a car - is that the sound of a pressure relief?

2) When I open the top of the tank I cant really see much if any fluid. All I see is a round piece of metal (which I assume is part of the pump) and it blocks my view of the rest of the tank. I added some fluid yesterday, but after working the lift a bit I noticed some of the fluid leaking out of the top cap on the pump.

In case it matters - the lift will lift all the way up and down just fine with no load attached. Its only when lifting a load that it refuses to lift all the way.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #15  
1) Yea when the cylinder doesnt want to lift anymore the sound resemebles the squeaking of a car - is that the sound of a pressure relief?

2) When I open the top of the tank I cant really see much if any fluid. All I see is a round piece of metal (which I assume is part of the pump) and it blocks my view of the rest of the tank. I added some fluid yesterday, but after working the lift a bit I noticed some of the fluid leaking out of the top cap on the pump.

In case it matters - the lift will lift all the way up and down just fine with no load attached. Its only when lifting a load that it refuses to lift all the way.
did it ever work right?the cylinder look 2 or 2 1/2 bore that is fine you my have a bad pump.you can put a pressure gauges in line.and see what pressure you have.and you can add a new pump and a big tank.but i don't know if a 1 belt pulley will work.my b is 1400 rpm thats slow

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #16  
It could very well be a power steering pump similar to a car or truck. It probably only has about 1500 psi if working right. If you hear the sound before the cyl is fully extended or retracted, then the belt needs tighten. If you hear the sound at the end of the stroke. then that is the relief activating. First, I would tighten the belts. Then fill the pump to about 1 in from the top. If the pump is sucking air, the volume of the fluid will increase , and the fluid might over flow, and the lift might not work right. You could tee in a gage in and check the pressure.

If that is a 2 in bore cyl, and 1 in shaft, at 1500 psi, the cyl will lift about 3,534 lbs, and push about 4,712 lbs, straight on.

With the engine running, activate the lift and look in the pump filler cap and see if any air bubbles are there. Some filler caps have a very short dip stick on the bottom of the cap.

Thanks for the tips. Ill first try replacing/tightening the belt to see if that fixes any of the issues. If your estimates are correct then the lift should easily lift any of the implements I own.

1) The sound is at the beginning/end of the stroke, so i guess its the relief. Does that mean the pump cant produce any more pressure?

2) The pump definitely has air bubbles in it after adding fluid. Is there a way to prevent that? Or should I just keep adding fluid till all the air is pushed out?

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #18  
The air should not be there. Tighten up the suction lines. When the relief goes off, the pressure above the set pressure is dumped until the load is reduced on the cyl. If there is some trash in the relief valve, it may not get to relief pressure, and constantly dump fluid. If as you say, that the sound is at the end of the stroke, the relief seems like it is working. Fluid passing through the relief valve could generate bubbles. If you do a normal in/out on the cyl, without maxing out the stroke, do you still see bubbles?

If you keep adding fluid, and air is present, the air generated will push some of the fluid out the cap. It will increase total volume.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #19  
That system can not have any air at all in it. The tank is only big enough to hold the differents in the rod end and piston end of the cyl. + just a hair more. You have to bleed all the air out. You will have oil run out on the floor or a pan, if you do it right. If you need to know I can tell you how. By the way, you are getting air when the pumps runs out of oil and well take a long time to get out of the system if at all.

Ok, so if there is air in the system (which I think there might be) , how do I go about getting it out?

fyi - Today when I used it I noticed some hydraulic fluid squirt out of the cap on the reservoir.

On another note - I put universal hydraulic fluid into the pump - should that work fine? (even though this is clearly a power steering pump?)