Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #1  

dcwatson84

Tractor
Allis Chalmers B
I have an old allis chalmers model B. I've been having some issues with the rear lift lately and I'm trying to get all the information I can on it. I.e. did this tractor originally come with a hydraulic lift? The info on tractordata.com seems to imply that it did not, yet for some reason I see people selling allis chalmers b hydraulic pumps online?

Either way, I think mine is low on hydraulic fluid, but I dont know how to check the level.

In the image below you can see the pump/reservoir attached via belt to the engine, and you can see the hydraulic hoses running along the side of the tractor to the cylinder in the rear. I'm assuming this set-up was not standard.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vBdYi7WWhZBTIoBhqgIyWQ?feat=directlink

There is a fill cap on the top of the reservoir, but I dont see any information on how full it should be. Does anyone have any tips?

FYI - The symptoms are that sometimes when lifting a load, the pump seems to occasionally stick - visible because the belt will stop turning for a brief second. I've also had some problems lifting loads all the way up.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #2  
Allis Chalmers did have a hydraulic lift available on the later B's. If I recall the pump mounted to the right side of the tractor back in the transmission area. It wasn't a 3pt hitch system though.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #3  
My cousin has one on his and we do not on ours.Asi remember it we broke or pulled uot the copper line and the fluid leaked out .When we re-filled it it took about 1 qt it think.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics
Ah okay, so someone definitely added this one. Is there any way I could check the fluid level? So that I dont have to drain the entire system?

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #5  
I have an old allis chalmers model B. I've been having some issues with the rear lift lately and I'm trying to get all the information I can on it. I.e. did this tractor originally come with a hydraulic lift? The info on tractordata.com seems to imply that it did not, yet for some reason I see people selling allis chalmers b hydraulic pumps online?

Either way, I think mine is low on hydraulic fluid, but I dont know how to check the level.

In the image below you can see the pump/reservoir attached via belt to the engine, and you can see the hydraulic hoses running along the side of the tractor to the cylinder in the rear. I'm assuming this set-up was not standard.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vBdYi7WWhZBTIoBhqgIyWQ?feat=directlink

There is a fill cap on the top of the reservoir, but I dont see any information on how full it should be. Does anyone have any tips?

FYI - The symptoms are that sometimes when lifting a load, the pump seems to occasionally stick - visible because the belt will stop turning for a brief second. I've also had some problems lifting loads all the way up.

that look like a car pump on it.look in the top of the pump. i have a b hand start only.Ray

Actually, the cap on the top says "Use GM power steering fluid only" - Is this a power steering pump from a car??

If so, I still need to know how to check the fluid level, to see if I need to add some.

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #7  
Actually, the cap on the top says "Use GM power steering fluid only" - Is this a power steering pump from a car??

If so, I still need to know how to check the fluid level, to see if I need to add some.
no stick on the cap?or line on the side?then fill when a little at a time.then run your tractor.when you get hot it will come out.then stop.hey thats a nice b.Ray

Yea as far as I can tell there's no dip stick or fill line. I'll try adding some and seeing if the problems go away.

So I added some fluid and the hydraulics seem to not get stuck as often however I am still seeing some issues.

1) It cant lift a small disc harrow off the ground. The harrow has one row of discs, 4 on each side. Its about the smallest 3pt harrow Ive found. The lift can raise the front up a bit, but once it gets ready to lift the whole thing the lift gets stuck and I can hear the belt squeak a bit.

Id really like some tips on this since I feel like the tractor should be able to lift it. My main concern is that the hydraulic pump (which seems to be a power steering pump from a car) isnt powerful enough. Does that sound possible? Or could it be that the pump is fine but that the belt is bad? (the belt only squeaks when the lift gets stuck and wont lift anymore). Or that something is wrong with the cylinder?

/ Allis Chalmers B Hydraulics #10  
So I added some fluid and the hydraulics seem to not get stuck as often however I am still seeing some issues.

1) It cant lift a small disc harrow off the ground. The harrow has one row of discs, 4 on each side. Its about the smallest 3pt harrow Ive found. The lift can raise the front up a bit, but once it gets ready to lift the whole thing the lift gets stuck and I can hear the belt squeak a bit.

Id really like some tips on this since I feel like the tractor should be able to lift it. My main concern is that the hydraulic pump (which seems to be a power steering pump from a car) isnt powerful enough. Does that sound possible? Or could it be that the pump is fine but that the belt is bad? (the belt only squeaks when the lift gets stuck and wont lift anymore). Or that something is wrong with the cylinder?
can you get more pic of the pump and the cylinder on the 3pt.the pump have a key way?