running skid loader with damaged pump?

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #1  

kidstrustfund

Tractor
international harvester pay loader
I have a 71 IH skid loader. I repaired a line and did not manually fill the drive pump with fluid. That was not one of my brighter moments. Now I believe I have a damaged drive pump or motor. I will buy a pressure gage tomorrow and check the pressure next week. The loader still operates. But the left drive wheels are operating at a reduced rate. Also when I move my drive lever to full, the vibration coming from that motor is strong enough to move the throttle lever. My questions are. Will I damage the pump or motor if I continue to operate the machine until the end of my job? ( 2 weeks). The pump/ motor are 40 years old and replacement with the original pump or motor will probably not be an option. Can a pump or motor that has run dry be repaired? If not can the pump or motor be replaced with an after market pump? Thanks Tom

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #2  
The damage from not filling the case on a hydrostatic pump is not going to cure itself or stay the same......

This pump should immediately be taken out, stripped down and check out the rotating groups especially the, pump section involved......the more you run it, the more you risk completely junking the pump......also the corresponding hyd drive motor that's hooked up to the problem pump should also be stripped, cleaned, inspected and resealed at the very minimum to pull out contaminates from the closed circuit.......

If not versed in hydrostats, best to find a trained eye to check out internals.....not everyone that works on hydraulics knows what to look for....and these units are precision lapped and cleaned before assembly.....

Best of luck, cuz you have a lot of work ahead.....:(

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #3  
Hopefully Tom it won't cost you the "kidstrustfund" to fix it......:cool:

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #4  
Also when I move my drive lever to full, the vibration coming from that motor is strong enough to move the throttle lever.

The pistons/shoes in the rotating group have already come apart inside the case........:thumbdown:

/ running skid loader with damaged pump?
I quess that is not good. Will running that in that condition cause additional damage to the loop/ motor. Can that distroy the motor? The Kids are on their own. Tom

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #6  
Yes......

I ran it 4 hrs already in that condition. It did not deteriorate while I ran it. Their couldn't be something stupid like air in that loop. Or is that wishful thinking? Is their sources for pumps and motors that would fit my application. Or should I look for a rebuilder? I know this all speculation until I put a pressure gage on the loop. Thanks for your help. Tom

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #8  
Air would have worked it's way out very early on.....

Where are you located......

south new jersey

/ running skid loader with damaged pump? #10  
checking pressures in these is not as easy as a pump on a tractor....

It requires test port identification and test procedures from service manual