Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics?

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
I'm building a backhoe and I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary for it to have a hydraulic filter hooked up to it?

Would anything bad happen if I just hooked the lines up and run it without a filter?

I don't want to ruin anything, if I run it without a filter.

Chad

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #2  
If you are using hydraulics from your tractor, it should already be filtered. If the backhoe has it own hydraulic source then yes you need a filter. Dirty oil will screw up your valves.

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics?
It has it's own hydraulics. Should the filter go on the return or pressure side?

Thanks

Chad

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #5  
A pressure side filter is going to be expensive, install one in the return line to the sump, less than $50. Never in the suction line.

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #6  
Pressure side.

baker you are incorrect for most installations

tank then suction strainer in the tank to remove the big lumps
then to the pump then valve then filter after that back to the tank

Go look at a log splitter at TSC or some were that is the lay out you want just more valves

I posted a hydraulic manual link on here I'll look for the link or you can search it

tom

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #7  
It should have a suction strainer in the tank to filter any large particals as well

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #8  
^^^^^^^^^^^he bet me to it^^^^^^^^^:thumbsup:

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #9  
It has it's own hydraulics. Should the filter go on the return or pressure side?

Thanks

Chad

Pressure side.
Vanishingly rarely do filters go on the pressure side. They go either on the suction side of the pump or the return side of the circuit. Suction filters have to be extremely free flowing because suction differential is limited to less than atmospheric pressure [~15psi]. Return filters can be more restrictive [smaller or finer mesh] because the return flow is forced by the pump. Return filters bypass at some fairly low pressure [like maybe 15psi or so] or theyd get full pump pressure when cold or partially clogged and would blow up.
larry

/ Is a filter absolutely necessary for hydraulics? #10