MF 40 Industrial Loader Cylinder Replacement Advice

/ MF 40 Industrial Loader Cylinder Replacement Advice #1  

hsw

Tractor
Massey Furgeson Industrial 40
The only remaining hydraulics repair place here in Eugene, Oregon wants higher prices than new for rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders on my front loader. Does anyone know of good dual action replacement cylinders that might be available. I am afraid to go with totally unknown aftermarket ones.

Thanks,

Harv

/ MF 40 Industrial Loader Cylinder Replacement Advice #2  
OEM cylinders would be by far the most expensive, if you could even get them. You don't want after market, so rebuilding yours is all that is left. Repacking your cylinders if you take them off and taking them to the shop should be the least expensive by far. You could buy the packing and do them yourself.

/ MF 40 Industrial Loader Cylinder Replacement Advice #3  
hsw,

The problem with aftermarket stuff is even if you find something close to fitting, you'll still have issues with pin sizes, port locations, hose/fitting changeovers, stroke too short or long and some fabrication will be needed...

Rebuilding your existing one will at least be a plunk-it-on and go scenario without modifications......

If your not happy with your rebuilder then by all means start driving......myself being in the rebuild business get people that travel sometimes 150 miles away to come for sevice.....

Rebuilding sometimes is more costly as the cylinders are manufactured for a specific purpose, not just picked out of a catalog and heavy equipment cyls are more expensive......

Besides if buying new cyls was always less expensive there would be no need for the hyd pros out there.......and dealers would sell more replacement cyls....

Had a customer come in a few years ago and told us "Don't fix it if any more than $150. as I can buy a new one for $200."........(his cyl needed $350. worth of work and we never gave him a price as not to insult him)..........Fast forward 1 yr later same customer said.."That cyl ended up costing me over $750., I went to dealer and they said that cyl is obsolete, I went to your competition, what a bunch of bandits"........

Funny how he didn't mind insulting us by telling us how much he wanted to pay, and we did not make a nickel on him........:confused2:

/ MF 40 Industrial Loader Cylinder Replacement Advice #4  
BTW, the cyl I just described needed a new hyd, rod gland, seals and labor

Probably 3.5" bore with a 1.75" rod about 3-3.5' long.........