Hydraulic Issues

/ Hydraulic Issues #1  

J Bryan

Tractor
Branson 3820i
Hello, I kind of screwed up. I was pushing brush with my loader into piles. Somehow I guess a limb got by and went under the tractor. When it did, it pulled off my hydraulic hose. I noticed it within a couple minutes and I only lost about 1/3 of the oil before I got the hose put back on.

Now, here is where I screwed up. I went and got 5 gallons out from under the lean to, opened up, looked in and everything seemed fine. So, I started filling her back up. It took 2 1/2 gallons to fill back up.

Well, I went back out to push more piles, being more careful of letting limbs get under me. But the hydraulics just didn't seem right. It seemed twitchy, jerky and slow. So back to the barn I go. Crawled under it and verified the hose was still on. Next, I looked at the sight window to verify the level was correct. It then I noticed the level was in fact correct, but off in color. Like way too light in color.

So I open the 5 gallon jug back up and pour 1/2 gallon into a clear gallon container. Let it sent and went to town for a couple hours. Come back and can't believe what I see. It was half oil and half water. Upon further inspection, the plastic seal around the spout of the jug was dry cracked and I guess rain water got in.

So, I completely drain and change the filter out. Refill with 9.7 gallons of NEW oil. Run it for 30 minutes and repeat. The bucket and 3 point work fine.

But now, my brakes appear to be applied. The pedals are stiff and when I depress the clutch, the tractor stops quickly, even on an incline.

What do I need to do to fix this? Can you bleed the brake system? It is a Branson 3820i by the way.

Thanks!

/ Hydraulic Issues #2  
What's happened is the brake pads have swelled from contact with the water. It may go back to normal in time, or it may not. You can try adjusting the brakes a bit looser and see what happens over time.

I'd be guessing if I suggested a remedy... maybe your dealer might have an idea.

Sean