Hydraulic Hose Connections

/ Hydraulic Hose Connections #1  

daBear

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
Ok, fellows here is the most basic dumb hydraulic question ever posted. But, I bet you can't fly a helicopter and I can.

Let's say one has a two spool valve and its working ports are A1, A2 and B1, B2. You are hooking two cylinders into the valve. Cylinder 1 is going to A1 and A2. Now the drum roll and the quesiton.

Which hose on the cylinder goes to A1 and which hose goes to A2?

Thanks

/ Hydraulic Hose Connections #2  
The cylinder extend and retract conections will be obvious on the cylinder. It depends which position you woud like the valve in during extention as to which port A1 or A2 the extend side of the cylinder is attached.
I can't blow through your hyd. valve with the spool shifted in the direction you want for extention, but I bet you can.:laughing:

/ Hydraulic Hose Connections
Ok, so the hose at the rear of the cylinder goes to A1 if you want it to extend when the valve control is pressed forward? Would that be a fine guess?

Also, if I hook it up and the cylinder does not react the way I want it to, then I assume I will not damage anything? It will just sit there when I press the control forward or extend when I want it to retract?

One more thing. The reason I am doing this is about two years ago I bought the cylinders and valve for top and tilt on my L2800 Kubota. I took it to a local hydraulics shop and had them hose it up. They charged me over $700 to run hoses and no quick disconnects involved. I liked to have choked.

Now, I am running rear remotes and have gotten KennyD to help me with the plumbing diagram. The hoses and fittings are coming in today and I have all of $200 invested rather than $700+.

/ Hydraulic Hose Connections #4  
Some valves ports are stamped as to A1/ A2, and B1/B2. Base end of most cyl go to port A1, and rod end go to A2.

The A port is usually closest to the lever. or top of valve.

I believe when you push the spool in the valve, you open the A port, so it depends on what you want the cyl to do when you make a lever movement as to the connections of the cyl hoses.

A TNT connection might be different than for a loader cyl.

If a valve is say to your right, and the lever is up. If you push the lever forward, the A port will pass fluid. So it depends on your thinking as to the connections.

If you push fwd, does that mean implement down, or up.

For instance the loader valve, if you pull back on the lever, the loader arms raise, and when you push fwd, the loader arms lower.

Not trying to confuse, but just facts.

No biggy, as you can switch the hoses around until you are satisfied with the control you want.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Hose Connections #5  
Please be more specific on the helicopter. Thank you.

Well I was planning on this taking most of Satruday and I just finished up then whole process of hooking up the hydraulics and thanks to KennyD it works perfectly the first time. All cylinders work, no leaks and I have already ground three stumps into smitherines. I will post some pictures later.

I have not mounted the quick connects and they are just laying on the frame for the time being. I will fabricate a bracket for them in a while.

Thanks to all for the informaiton and guidance.

The helicopter flying was 18 years as an Army aviator of a 28 year career. Mainly in the UH-1, but that was in another life. Been retired 11 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Hose Connections #7  
Glad to help:thumbsup:

Here are a couple of more shots. In case someone is wondering what the yellow thing is on the back of my tracktor it is called a Delta Hook and is a quick attachment device to end all. I can unhook my box blade and hook up my dirt scoop in about a minute without leaving the drivers seat.

But this is a hydraulics thread. The hoses are just laying around now and I will neat everything up next. I must say this is my first hydrulic project and the first plumbing project in my life that worked the first time around. That is what makes this board so good. Folks lend a hand and freely give information to hydraulically challenged dummies like me and look what happened.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 816