john deere 5210 lift problem

/ john deere 5210 lift problem #1  

tkyzer

Tractor
john deere 5210
i have a 2000 model JD 5210. the lift arms are slow to raise and very weak. i have changed the filter and fluid, and cleaned the pickup screen. if you race the engine the arms will lift. with no implement attached they raise at a normal rate but you can stop them with your hand. what could the problem be? what else can i check?
thanks for reading.
Travis

/ john deere 5210 lift problem #2  
My first suggestion is for you to purchase a Technical Manual as there are a number of tests provided to help determine the problem. URL to purchase one from JD provided, the manual is TM1716.

Is this something that just started, if yes did anything just prior happen? Do you have a loader how is it functioning? It is having problems the problem might be the pump.

Hopefully, someone can help you better then I can.

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Publications Search

/ john deere 5210 lift problem
i just purchased the tractor about a month ago. the lift arms worked fine with nothing on them. i guess i should have requested to put an implement on it to test it out. i dont have a loader on it but i do have the joystick and everything to add one. i am at a loss for ideas right now.

/ john deere 5210 lift problem #4  
tkyzer,

Do you have a hyd gage you can install or make up a test rig to test your hydraulics? Check your fluid levels.

fluid level is good. that was the first thing i checked. a mechanic at a local JD dealership said he would let me borrow his gage. just having a hard time making it there before he closes in the evening with my work schedule.
if i have low pressure would that indicate a problem with my hydraulic pump? is it possible there could be air in the lines? if so, is there a way i can bleed them?

/ john deere 5210 lift problem #6  
Just cycle the valve about 10 times to expel the air. . Do you have air bubbles in your tank? Low pressure could occur if a relief is stuck open. In order to test the pump, you would need a gage and flow meter, and a valve to control the flow.

If the pump is good and the pump is turning, then that hyd fluid is going somewhere.

/ john deere 5210 lift problem #7  
Just cycle the valve about 10 times to expel the air. . Do you have air bubbles in your tank? Low pressure could occur if a relief is stuck open. In order to test the pump, you would need a gage and flow meter, and a valve to control the flow.

If the pump is good and the pump is turning, then that hyd fluid is going somewhere.

i havent seen any bubbles in the fluid. where is the relief valve located? is that the knob under the seat beside the lift control?