Hydraulic Fluid question

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #1  

Patiofarmer

Silver Member
I just got a little Harbor Freight Towable Digger to play around with and I need to get 3.5 gals of "good hydraulic fluid".

My questions is: Wouldn't the Chevron 1000THF fluid I use for my 2015HST work??

Appreciate the help on a "dumb" question :D

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #2  
Towable digger? Do you mean the post hole digger?
On the HF site for the towable PHD it states 10w fluid. Get the modle number of your digger and cross-reference it on the HF site to be sure. You'll see clickable tabs under the picture for each product, one of which should be the manual.

/ Hydraulic Fluid question
I actually got the little backhoe...

The manual says just "use good hydraulic fluid"...and I'm thinking that the Chevron stuff I use in my 2015 Mahindra is what feeds the hydraulic cylinders so it will probably work.

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #4  
I actually got the little backhoe...

The manual says just "use good hydraulic fluid"...and I'm thinking that the Chevron stuff I use in my 2015 Mahindra is what feeds the hydraulic cylinders so it will probably work.

In today's world, just about any "Universal Hydraulic Fluid" should work. Sometimes it's also called "Universal Tractor Fluid".

/ Hydraulic Fluid question
Thanks Much
I'm gonna assemble this little toy and have some fun this weekend.

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #7  
yep.. just about any utf.. even the 25$/5g accell 303 fluid would be as good or better than plain iso 32 hyd oil.

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #8  
In today's world, just about any "Universal Hydraulic Fluid" should work. Sometimes it's also called "Universal Tractor Fluid".

"universal hydraulic fluid" is not the same as "universal tractor fluid". Tractor fluid generally is better able to handle water, like what you get from parking a tractor in a shed for 6 months. Another is compatibility with wet clutches and brakes. Plus extreme pressure additives to protect gears and final drives.

Hydraulic fluid on the other hand is specifically designed to reduce friction, oxidation and varnish formation. Another difference is that hydraulic fluids are often straight weight oils, whereas tractor oils are often multiviscosity.

Personally I would go with a tractor oil like your Chevron 1000THF.

ISZ

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #9  
i think you are splitting hairs. different manufacturers call their products different things.. UTF, etc...

read the specs.. they are what matters..

soundguy

"universal hydraulic fluid" is not the same as "universal tractor fluid". Tractor fluid generally is better able to handle water, like what you get from parking a tractor in a shed for 6 months. Another is compatibility with wet clutches and brakes. Plus extreme pressure additives to protect gears and final drives.

Hydraulic fluid on the other hand is specifically designed to reduce friction, oxidation and varnish formation. Another difference is that hydraulic fluids are often straight weight oils, whereas tractor oils are often multiviscosity.

Personally I would go with a tractor oil like your Chevron 1000THF.

ISZ

/ Hydraulic Fluid question #10  
Should be about time for some pictures of the little backhoe in action.