Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
This is a repost from the parts/repair forum. it was suggested i post this here.

I ordered the repacking kit for my Ford 770A loader bucket cylinder. i managed to get the cylinder off the tractor. I was following the instructions i have in the loader manual but I'm having difficulty moving the cylinder shaft.

This is what the cylinder looks like now.
cylinder%20shaft.JPG

I can't seem to push or pull the cylinder at all. I was able to rotate the cylinder shaft with a metal bar through pin hole in the top end of the cylinder tube with a clamp holding the tube while i rotated the shaft. i tried moving the shaft in by using a small sledge hammer and a block of wood and nothing seemed to move. The cylinder head moves on the shaft freely and the retaining wire was removed but it did not come out the way the manual said it would. i had to pull the wire out because when i rotated the head it didn't unwind the wire.

Any advice welcome as you can see here the second step in the instructions says to push the shaft in all the way.
cylinder%20instructions.jpg

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #2  
#1 you have to make sure you dont have any plugs in the hyd ports on the cyl ( to keep dirt out)
#2 anchor the cyl so that it is resonably stable.
#3 Hook a chain to the cyl anchor point, make long enough to loop over
a bar or piece of pipe that you can use as a lever to compress the rod.
Its easier to do than to explain how to.
Hope it will help you.

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #3  
I wouldn't mind seeing the page describing how to purge the cylinders, assuming such instructions exist. Does anyone have such? TYIA

This is a repost from the parts/repair forum. it was suggested i post this here.

I ordered the repacking kit for my Ford 770A loader bucket cylinder. i managed to get the cylinder off the tractor. I was following the instructions i have in the loader manual but I'm having difficulty moving the cylinder shaft.

This is what the cylinder looks like now.
cylinder%20shaft.JPG

I can't seem to push or pull the cylinder at all. I was able to rotate the cylinder shaft with a metal bar through pin hole in the top end of the cylinder tube with a clamp holding the tube while i rotated the shaft. i tried moving the shaft in by using a small sledge hammer and a block of wood and nothing seemed to move. The cylinder head moves on the shaft freely and the retaining wire was removed but it did not come out the way the manual said it would. i had to pull the wire out because when i rotated the head it didn't unwind the wire.

Any advice welcome as you can see here the second step in the instructions says to push the shaft in all the way.
cylinder%20instructions.jpg

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #4  
As "Just Bill" noted, make sure the other end is open (no plug).
You will want to retract the cylinder to get to the compression nut so you can loosen it enough to allow the packing to slide easier.

On the last one I did, I re-attached one end to the tractor so I was pushing against something solid.
Was able to put a bar through one end and get enough body weight behind it to push it in.
Then left the one end attached and loosened the nut (by dropping a proper sized bolt down through the hole).

If all else fails, could re-attach the lines and let the hydraulics do the work for you.

It sounds like the wire may not have been installed properly if you were able to just pull it out.
The bent end should drop into a hole that is visible down in the slot, then you turn the cap to feed the wire in.
Removing it, you would turn the cap until you see the end of the wire and use an awl or small screwdriver to lift the end of it while you turn the cap and the wire should feed out.

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #5  
Hydraulic cylinders have some tight seals. If you cannot get it by pulling and wiggling, anchor it well and use a come along

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #6  
My service manual shows using a cherry picker to remove cyl. rods.

/ Loader Bucket Cylinder Repair Help #7  
I wouldn't mind seeing the page describing how to purge the cylinders, assuming such instructions exist. Does anyone have such? TYIA

Self purging....just run it in all the motions without a load