kubota bx2230 BX no steering

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #1  

w2ss

Tractor
kubota bx2230
Hello everyone,
Just bought house 4.5 acres with a lot of lawn. I Pondered on what to buy to cut the grass move the snow and do yard work. After reading lots of good reviews reguarding trouble free usage I bought a used clean 2004 Kubota bx2230 with 60 inch belly mower 315 hours for $5700.00. I think the price was good but I might have made a mistake.
First thing I did was to read the owner manual and do some basic service checked tire pressure oil levels and changed the engine oil, filter, and air filter. I used it for all most 6 hours and felt the Kubota did well for what it is a compact tractor.
My first issue started when I ran over a fence wire with the mower It stooped the engine as it should have. Running over a fence wire is not a good thing to do. I disengaged the mower pto restarted the tractor drove in reverse back to the garage to cut out the fence wire. When I changed direction and drove forward all the sudden I had no steering Like a motor boat with no ruttier.
First things first I cut the wire out from under the mower deck and the mower works.
Now the steering problem. I have found on this site and others that the Kubota has steering issues such as wandering or only steering one way or the other. Seens like most complaints are on Bx2200 models and the blame was quality control of the steering cylinder and a service bulletin PSB-2001-048 Some people say O rings or seals go bad due to heavy weight loads from FEL.
My tractor just stopped steering in one moment. After it cooled down the steering has develped some steering resistance it feels like a rotary resitance I am hoping it is not the dash steering pump about $700.00 I am going to block off the front steering lines and see if it locks the steering wheel. That way I might just need a steering cylinder abiut $200.00. i think I have broke something worse. Anyone know how much Hydralic pressire is susposed to feed the steering pump???
Long story short I think I have bought a Yuppie tractor Maybe I should have bought a 1986 Ford 1510 with a rear mower deck.
If anyone has any good Ideas pleas let me know.

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #2  
I am not 100% sure but I think the steering pressure is the same as charge circuit pressure so it should be some where around 700 PSI.

It is unusual for a cylinder to fail completely with no notice.

Roy

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #3  
you say you lost steering right away with running over a wire. I would check the ram connections that steers the front tires and trace it back. Are you sure you did not see any fluid loss?

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #4  
If there was no oil lost I would check and make sure you have hyd. pressure. If not I would check and make sure the pump is turning.

(My first issue started when I ran over a fence wire with the mower It stooped the engine as it should have) Why does that = a Yuppie tractor?

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #5  
I have a BX2200 Kubota and I blow a steering line and replaced it ,but now I will be mowing and the tractor will just take off. I will turn the wheel several times before it responds. Can I bleed the steering lines? And how?

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering #6  
As you move the steering wheel all the way left and then right several times, the air should bleed out.

Turn thesteering wheel to the left and hold it there until the relief activates, and then do the right turn.

/ kubota bx2230 BX no steering
I still have Kubora bx2300 steering problems with the steering cylinder all the older steering cylinder are the same part. Which to me makes it just a bad design. To bleed the lines I would go to the top where the lines hook to the sreering pump air rises. I remember there are four lines I would loosen the two that feed the steering cylinder I suspose like bleeding brakes on a car wheel cylinder. Some day or when my BX will not steer at all I guess I will replace or tear into the cylinder, for now I just live with it.
Good luck