Milky TransAxle Oil

/ Milky TransAxle Oil #1  

gunhill

Tractor
2005 JD 790
I checked the oil in my 05 JD 790, hadn't for a while, and noticed it to be milky in appearance. It was a red oil that was in there (chevron I believe), I had to add oil so I simply put JD LowVis HyGard in when I added my FEL. Could that have made the oil milky? I don't know how moisture could have gotten in there to cause it to happen. Also could it be air from the suction line? I'm going to clean the whole system out regardless, however I'd like some other opinions on the root cause of the problem. I will also mention, the tractor had been sitting for at least a week or two, so I would think that water would have separated during that time. Thanks.

/ Milky TransAxle Oil #2  
I checked the oil in my 05 JD 790, hadn't for a while, and noticed it to be milky in appearance. It was a red oil that was in there (chevron I believe), I had to add oil so I simply put JD LowVis HyGard in when I added my FEL. Could that have made the oil milky? I don't know how moisture could have gotten in there to cause it to happen. Also could it be air from the suction line? I'm going to clean the whole system out regardless, however I'd like some other opinions on the root cause of the problem. I will also mention, the tractor had been sitting for at least a week or two, so I would think that water would have separated during that time. Thanks.

If it was air it would have cleared up after sitting for two weeks so my vote is water may settle out but oil will usually stay discolored. Small chance the two different oils caused the discolloration.

Depending on where you live and how the vehicle is used it may be just water from condensation.

If you live in an area with large temperature changes and higher humidity the humidity in the air can and will bring moisture into the tranny.

Is it possible a vent line is dislodged or a breather has come off also.

Roy

/ Milky TransAxle Oil #4  
Moisture can turn the oil milky looking and as the previous poster stated so can air entrainment. There is a simple CRACKLE TEST that you can do at home. Read this article from Machinery Lubrication's web site.:thumbsup:

/ Milky TransAxle Oil
A fellow told me at work today about how much condensation can form going from the garage to the cold back and back in and such. I guess that's probably all, but I did flush the whole works out with some 10/30 motor oil and will be dropping it once more to put proper transhyd oil in.