My no split log splitter!

/ My no split log splitter! #1  

PHIL850

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850
I bought someone else's project log splitter (frame with piston) and started building the rest
of it up with some new parts from Northern Hydraulics. Got it assembled, filled it with Hydrualic fluid, fired it up and yahoo the piston goes in and out no problem! Tested many in/out cycles and she works great. Put a small oak long on it, and pull the lever and guess what? She won't even attempt to split the log! Ram comes out up against the log and stops. Engine loads up, but no push. I try to hear if the relief is opening, but of course my ears aren't working their best at this stage in the game. I mean this thing just comes up against the log and stops. The wedge barely puts a mark in the log. I have ordered a 3000 psi gauge to put on the pressure side of the valve to see whats going on, but thought I might bounce this off a few of you for your thoughts as well. All the hydraulic components are NEW with the exception of the piston and Tank. I am using a Haldex 2 stage 11 GPM pump, a Prince LS 3000 25 GPM detent valve, Northern brand external 125 micro 15 gal/min suction strainer (cartridge type), 3/4 suction and return lines (proper suction hose) and 1/2" pressure lines. The tank is full of new Hydro fluid. although it does appear to be a little foamy to me. Could I be sucking Air on this external suction screen?

Other notes: the tank was originaly pretty gummed up and I flushed it a few times to remove Gak and sludge with some tranny fluid prior to filling with new fluid. Could the strainer be plugged up already with more sludge from the tank?

At any rate. I do plan to put a gauge on this (more money) and see what is going on. Any and all opinions are very much welcomed!!

thanks, Phil

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 827
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 782
   / My no split log splitter! #2  
can't really see the top of the valve but it looks as if the port near the handle is going to the base of the cylinder???? that should be the "A" port and it should be on the rod side of the cylinder????
could have some crap under the PR valve that may need to be cleaned out... the pressure gauge will tell the tale.

/ My no split log splitter!
Port "A" is the port away from the Handle. Also the when retracting the ram, the detent portion of the valve functions correctly and kicks out upon completion of the Ram retracting. Waiting on that gauge at this point. I'll be a bit up set if the relief valve is not set right. According to the spec it is suppose to be factory set at 2250 PSI. time will tell on that one.

thanks, Phil

/ My no split log splitter! #4  
sorry about that Phil... looked at the wrong valve on the web site, just checked mine and it's plumbed like yours... when you first start these things there is a lot of STUFF floating around and it can jam under the PR valve or the pressure/flow valve in the pump, the gauge will tell all. Jim

/ My no split log splitter! #5  
Hard to tell without a gauge inline. Could be the seals are shot in the cylinder.
On another note, galvanized fittings are not the best thing to use on a hydraulic system. The zinc had a tendancy to spall off which obviously is not a good thing.
Is the tank vented? Hard to tell from the pics, it looks like a plug in top of the fill pipe. If it's not vented to atmosphere you'll either cause a vacuum or pressure in the tank.
Your filter, is it a correct type, a suction filter since you have it on the suction side of the pump? Most filters go on the return side of the valve just before the tank. Suction strainers are a lot coarser because if the suction side of the pump plugs up, the pump will cavitate causing more damage than a small piece of dirt. I've never used a suction filter, don't like 'em for that reason.....Mike

/ My no split log splitter! #6  
Your filter, is it a correct type, a suction filter since you have it on the suction side of the pump? Most filters go on the return side of the valve just before the tank. Suction strainers are a lot coarser because if the suction side of the pump plugs up, the pump will cavitate causing more damage than a small piece of dirt. I've never used a suction filter, don't like 'em for that reason.....Mike

Don't like the return filter on the suction side of that pump......good way to starve it.....:(

/ My no split log splitter! #7  
Agree with Bill/wdchyd!

First of all, you have to move that filter away from the suction side, that have highest priority now. Install then as a 20 gpm, 10-15micron, return side filter, between control valve and reservoir....also make sure manifold have a built in, low pressure, by pass valve

btw, what "mesh size" is this filter now...150micro or 15micro??

If you use a fill cap strainer and a return filter, you will not get these problems....
Also it looks like there is non breaded water hose...use appropriate spiral breaded suction hose instead....

/ My no split log splitter! #8  
I used one of Northern's 11 gpm 2 stage pumps to run my mini-backhoe that I bought from them. I run it with an 8 hp tecumseh. What size motor are you using? Too small can be a problem and too big is wasted energy. The mini backhoe originally came with a 1.2 gpm single stage and a 5 hp motor. It was way too slow. The flow into the pump has to be at least 3/4". I have a piece of clear hose in the line and I can see the oil move - on the way to the filter.
Good luck- maybe it's easy and you have the hoses crossed as someone suggested. That filter should be on the return to the tank, not on the suction outlet to the pump. The filter is probably starving the pump on oil.

/ My no split log splitter! #9  
Just looked at my splitter and have to agree about filter location . Needs to be on the return side not suction side .

Here is what my splitter looks like :

Fred H.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 1,401
   / My no split log splitter! #10