log splitter hydraulic problem

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #1  

challenger45

Tractor
case 385
My splitter is 3yrs old, 24 ton and used very lightly. I was splitting logs when the cylender moved quickly out. I tried moving it in and it only wanted to move out. I bought a new control valve and had the same results. After a few times trying, it gave out a loud bang and I stopped. Please help if anyone can.

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #2  
I would guess the valve has given up the ghost. Was there any hyd fluid leakage?

The valve should go back to neutral when released or the detent has activated. , and if it does not, one side of the cyl will get fluid as long as the pump is pumping. The relief should have activated.

Maybe the neutral spring is damaged.

/ log splitter hydraulic problem
I thought so too, but Ibought a new one and seems I still have the same problem

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #4  
Do you have the ports connected correctly? Did you put a closed center valve on an open center valve system?

Install a hyd gage at the input to the IN port of the log splitter valve.

You should not be blowing up valves. In the neutral position, the fluid flows from the pump or tractor hyd supply and flows through the log splitter valve, and only goes to the cyl when the lever is activated. If the cyl extended all by itself, then something in the valve is broke. If you blocked fluid from flowing through the system somehow, then the pump might burst or a hose burst or the weakest part of the system would fail.

You did not say if there was any fluid leakage. .

/ log splitter hydraulic problem
I will have to check on that, but the valve in your opinion is where the problem lies?

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #6  
A gage will tell you if there is any pressure in the system. The valve is the controlling factor in a log splitter. It allows fluid to flow through the valve in the neutral mode, it directs the fluid to either the extend side or the retract of the cyl, and if the pressure exceeds certain limits, the relief on the valve will activate and relieve the pressure.

Has anyone else messed with the log splitter?

Any pictures?

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #7  
I think the piston seal is "toasted" or piston came of the rod inside the cylinder....extend rod and disconnect hose from rod side cylinder port...then make an extend attempt...if oil flowing out of port....rebuild cylinder...

/ log splitter hydraulic problem #8  
Could be right, as that bang could have been the piston exploding off the end of the shaft. You said the cyl would not retract, so do as AKKAMANN said, and place the hose from the rod end port in a bucket and if fluid flows out the hose while trying to extend, the fluid is bypassing to the rod end of the cyl with no restrictions.