Hydraulic hose hook-up

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #1  

DianneK

Tractor
Ford Holland
:confused2: We are new to the world of tractors and are having problems (which include seriously bad language) hooking up the hoses for the front end loader. Three of the four hoses won't go in far enough for the attachment to connect.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #2  
If you are talking about Quick Disconnects, you have to have a matched pair to properly connect the QD's. They should just snap together. Sometimes, you have to relieve the pressure in the hoses and or system before they will connect.

If you have the correct QD's, then push in on the ball or poppet inside the QD, and a little fluid should come out and allow you the ability to connect.

Similar to the below post.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/209044-not-so-quick-attach-loader.html

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up
Thanks, J J. This was very helpful, as was your prior reply to someone else with the same difficulty. The very warm weather of the past two days could be the culprit.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #4  
I had the same thing. I did as mentioned above. Funny how three out of the four wouldn't snap in.

I would add though, there was enough pressure buildup, I got a nice blast of oil on me when I pressed the ball on the first one. The other two, I put a rag over them first...

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up
Did you use the mental rod suggestion? I'm not afraid to show my ignorance here, so...is there danger, besides getting a blast of hydraulic fluid, in using a metal rod, like inadvertently damaging something?

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #6  
When i used to remove the loader and leave it in the sun, the fittings never would go back together unless i placed a rag over them and tapped them on the ground to relieve the built up pressure.

It shouldn't hurt anything except the clothes your wearing.

Now days i leave the loader in the shade, and i don't have these issues anymore.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #7  
Did you use the mental rod suggestion? I'm not afraid to show my ignorance here, so...is there danger, besides getting a blast of hydraulic fluid, in using a metal rod, like inadvertently damaging something?

Those steel balls or poppets are hard, but you should be alright. Use a wood if possible. and rag over fitting. Hit it straight on and try not to damage the o-ring.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up
We tried the "covering the fitting and tapping it" and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the good advice to this newbie.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #9  
I used a piece of wood; actually a foot long end piece of a broken shovel handle. I cut the end flat. I did not get blast by lots, as in quarts of hydro fluid, but enough to get me dirty(was glad I wear glasses...).

It really was not a big deal to do. Just don't bang on the fittings :D I was able to just push on the ball/poppet; I did not have to hit it.

A note on using the rag; it is nice to have one handy to wipe the fittings clean before connecting them; keep any dirt out of the system.

/ Hydraulic hose hook-up #10  
Best to undo the couplings with a couple of spanners,to relieve the pressure.