580D CASE STEERING

/ 580D CASE STEERING #1  

dugano339

Tractor
case 580d
Same problem.Replaced hand pump on the end of the steering shaft,relief valve,and a steering cylinder.It is still almost impossible to steer.This does not have a power steering pump on it.I'm out of ideas.

/ 580D CASE STEERING #2  
What is the hand pump for and how does it work with out a hyd. pump??

/ 580D CASE STEERING #3  
dugano339,

Can you be a little more specific. Is it mechanical or power steering? Why the hand pump?

/ 580D CASE STEERING #4  
priority flow valve that supplys oil to the steering circuit could be stuck and not supplying oil. This would be the equivalent of having the engine off.

Roy

/ 580D CASE STEERING #5  
I'll say it again:

The hydraulic pump on the 580D is divided into two sections with a common inlet.
One section works the steering, the other section works the loader and backhoe functions.

(See attached diagram)

They never built a 580D without powersteering.

Check your steering pressure. If you have sufficient pressure and flow from the power steering pump, then you must have mechanical binding, i.e. king pins and/or bearings.

Mark

Attachments

• 580Dsteering.gif
    580Dsteering.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 6,021
   / 580D CASE STEERING #6  
Mark,
my mistake, I was thinking Case had gone to closed center systems on the "D" series but I was wrong. You are correct that if the pressure and flow are there he has a mechanical binding issue. Any idea on what the steering flow is on this unit?

Roy

/ 580D CASE STEERING #7  
Hey Roy.

No, I don't know the actual gpm for the steering section of the pump. But I do know it's a Webster No. 152-45207-115.

I hope the OP gets this figured out and lets us know what he found.

Mark

/ 580D CASE STEERING #8  
Mark,
thanks for the info on the pump. I would guess flow would be in 3 - 7 GPM range for normal speed steering. For quick emergency steer they may have sized the pump in at 10 + GPM. Again, this is just a guess.

To the OP:

How do you know it does not have a power steering pump on it? Are there four hydraulic lines connected to the steering unit connected to the steering wheel? If there are not four lines then you have a problem.

Roy

/ 580D CASE STEERING #9  
The fluid for the power steering is developed by one part of the two section pump.
The unit at the bottom of the steering shaft is the steering valve, which provides fluid to the steering cyl. He said he replaced the relief valve and steering cyl.

Why no pressure testing.

The pump just sends fluid through the steering valve, and when you turn the steering wheel, steering fluid is routed to the steering cyl.

We use a similar steering valve in out PT's, and it takes priority in the fluid flow, it could take all the flow or part of the flow. If not steering, the fluid is passed on to the FEL valve. The replacement for those pumps run abut $450.

I would expect to see some pressure readings off the pump, off the steering valve, and the steering cyl. If the steering is not turning, the fluid passes through the steering valve and back to tank.

First off, do you know if the steering section of the pump is even pumping.
Do you know if the cyl is getting fluid. The cyl is what develops the fluid pressure.
So if the cyl is not getting fluid, then no steering.

If a relief valve is relieving, you should hear it. If it is stuck open, maybe you will hear it.

So check those pressures, and reply.

A flow and pressure gage would be a big help in this kind of situation.

/ 580D CASE STEERING
I was told that it might be air locked and to loosen one by one each fitting that is connected to the steering.