Leak on Ferguson TO35

/ Leak on Ferguson TO35 #1  

timmy

Tractor
Ferguson TO35
I have Ferguson TO35 Deluxe (dual clutch). While operating, I have hydraulic fluid leaking out from where the clutch shaft penetrates (right side of tractor if sitting on it). I was told it was overfilled with fluid and will stop leaking when fluid reaches proper level. Doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Leak on Ferguson TO35 #2  
I have Ferguson TO35 Deluxe (dual clutch). While operating, I have hydraulic fluid leaking out from where the clutch shaft penetrates (right side of tractor if sitting on it). I was told it was overfilled with fluid and will stop leaking when fluid reaches proper level. Doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Someone told you wrong.....The clutch shaft goes into the bell housing, NOT the hydraulic sump/tranny/rear end. There should NOT be any significant volume oil in the bell housing.
Most likely a leak from input shaft seal. The clutch assembly/flywheel is picking up the oil and slinging it towards the clutch shaft. There should be "weep holes" UNDER the bell housing. There should be the end of a cotter pin sticking through that weep hole. The cotter pin is supposed to keep the hole clear of dirt and debris, allowing any oil to drip out there and NOT build up to the point where the clutch/flywheel pick it up. You MIGHT have a fairly significant leak and the oil is building up in the Bell housing. It will eventually ruin the clutch if left unchecked.

Make certain it is in fact hydraulic oil. Same ailment CAN be caused by engine oil bypassing a bad rear main seal.

/ Leak on Ferguson TO35
Thanks for the info. If I have to split the tractor, which I've never done, do I split it between the transmission and the differential or the tranny and the motor? It seems from the drawings the seal and cap are bolted from the forward end requiring access between the motor and tranny. Also, any idea how much something like that would cost if I had it done by someone?

/ Leak on Ferguson TO35 #4  
Thanks for the info. If I have to split the tractor, which I've never done, do I split it between the transmission and the differential or the tranny and the motor? It seems from the drawings the seal and cap are bolted from the forward end requiring access between the motor and tranny. Also, any idea how much something like that would cost if I had it done by someone?

Split between engine and bell housing. The front of the tranny (input shaft seal) will be accessible inside bell housing.

35's ara a breeze to split. An "average" price at an independent shop, maybe $400 (+ or -) ....+ parts.... Dealership, hang on to the wallet!

/ Leak on Ferguson TO35 #5  

Hi,

I also have a TO-35. On that side of the tractor, oil can leak from the air filter or teh oil pressure line. My air filter was pin-holed corroded from the inside and leaked in that area. Took me a while to figure it out.

Splitting these is fairly easy. You basically need 2 jacks to support the engine and the tranny. However, on some older TO-35s you need to remove the gear shaft from the tranny side; thus you have to remove the steering column. It can be a bit more complicated to change the seals since multiple snap rings are involved.