rebuilding hydraulic cylinders

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #1  

garry

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 1050
I have a recently acquired JD1050 with a #80 loader and #8 backhoe. Both of the two hydraulic cylinders on the hoe that operate left and right movement leak out of the vent hole when moved to the extreme left or right. I am considering rebuilding these myself but I have no experience with rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. Is this a difficult task? Do I need any special tools? Any tips would be appreciated.

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #2  
Have you looked at just replacing them with new ones? the surplus center web page has a lot of cylinders and it may be easier to just replace depending on the cost. If you figure out parts and your time to do the work it may justify buying new ones.

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #3  
Garry,

I just rebuilt two cylinders on the FEL on my YM 1500. The cost was about $18 per cylinder and there was nothing complicated about it. If you'd like more info, let me know.

Bob

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #4  
garry
repairing most cylinder is fairly simple as long as you have a spanner wrench to open them up. then it's just a rebuild kit with seals and orings and then reassembling. I would think most tactor dealers would be able to rebuild the cylinders at a reasonable cost if you brought the cylinders in.

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders
the reason I am considering rebuilding them myself is simply because I wanted to learn how. Are the spanner wrenches a stantard tool or are they specific to a brand name. After the rebuild is done are there any adjustments?

The Cylinders on my loader seem to reach their maximum extention unevenly. ie one side continues to extend after the other has reached its limit. It there an adjustment for this?

Thank you all for your input.

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #6  
Garry
it sound like the cylinder that maxs out may be leaking by the seals in side. there is usually no adjustment to be made. at least in side. some cylinders may have connectin end that can be adjusted. as for spanner wrench they just hook into the hole on the the cylinder that spins out. grainer carries adjustable spanner wrench depending in the diameter of the cylinder. I saw a wed site that showed how a cylinder workers. I'll try to find

have fun

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #8  
<font color="blue"> The Cylinders on my loader seem to reach their maximum extention unevenly. ie one side continues to extend after the other has reached its limit. </font>

Garry,
Check to make sure your loader bucket is not twisted. If it is, the cylinders may not reach full extension right together. This <font color="red">post</font> and the post following it explain more.

My 70A loader bucket has "stops" (chunks of steel) welded by where the loader arms attach to the bucket. When the loader arms roll the bucket to the full dump position they contact the stops, and can't extend any more even if they want to. If your loader arms don't contact both stops at the same time, the culprit may be a twisted bucket. Of course, the setup on your bucket may be different.

OkieG

/ rebuilding hydraulic cylinders #9  
This thread could pehaps be helpful to you!
<a href="http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=parts&Number=160678&Forum=parts&Words=renovating%20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=160678&Search=true#Post160678" target="_blank">http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=parts&Number=160678&Forum=parts&Words=renovating%20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=160678&Search=true#Post160678[/url]</a>
It describes my own experience of renovating a hydraulic cylinder.