hydraulic help

/ hydraulic help #1  

mounty1979

hi, new to this, so be patient please lol, i am building a kindling splitter for my own personal use and have the skills to fabricate and source the components, the problem is that i need information/guidance on how i can achieve automation of the cylinder. like most on the market the machine is connected to a source ie tractor/power pack and the blade/cylinder extends and retracts via a timer or the like, this part i have little or no knowledge about, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction. many thanks

/ hydraulic help #2  
hi, new to this, so be patient please lol, i am building a kindling splitter for my own personal use and have the skills to fabricate and source the components, the problem is that i need information/guidance on how i can achieve automation of the cylinder. like most on the market the machine is connected to a source ie tractor/power pack and the blade/cylinder extends and retracts via a timer or the like, this part i have little or no knowledge about, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction. many thanks

Mounty,
this kind of depends on how simple or complicted you want the system to be.

Timers will work if you are using a single stage pump and the travel speed is fairly consistant. Note: A timer would be very diffcult to make work with a dual stage (Hi-Lo) style pump.

Limit switches: Would work regardless of pump style. Problem is mounting them so that the wood does not give false trips

Cylinder mounted switches for end of stroke. These would require that the cylinder stroke fully each time but would typically be more protected from damage than an external limit switch. Again would regardless of pump style.

Probably more options but these are three that I can think of.

Roy

/ hydraulic help #3