Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #11  
For good measure, throw a few magnets in the bottom before you hook up the hydraulic lines (assuming you have some kind of suction filter).

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter
For good measure, throw a few magnets in the bottom before you hook up the hydraulic lines (assuming you have some kind of suction filter).

"Literally" throw the magnets in the bottom of the tank??? I guess this would keep magnetizing the small particles and yes, i'll be running a 35gpm northern tool/nortrac return line filter.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #13  
Yes. You MUST have some kind of suction filter, not just a return filter. You don't want to suck the magnets into the pump. I've seen them before here...
Hydraulicstore.com Hydraulic Strainers

Suction strainers are even available with magnets on them already...
http://www.zinga.com/zImages/STRAINER_TFMAG.pdf

Like I said, it's not necessary to do this. It's just something you can do to capture metal particles. Good luck!

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #14  
Suction filters are not required on log splitters, and may be dangerous to the pump.

A 10 to 25 micron return filter is all that is required.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #15  
Try Dawn Dish Soap and 80% water. Cuts grease and oil, Rinses clean. No explosions..I just did it. Hooked a 12 volt. boat bilge pump to a hose on one end of the tank and another back to the pan the pump sat in. (3 gln ) Give it a few minutes and your tank will be clean. Kinda works as a Green Parts Washer. I wash a lot of stuff in that tub with Dawn. Or if you are in possestion of some Safety Solvent, ( recently banned due to ozone worries ) It cuts anything, Evaporates Super Quick and is Non Flamable. ( I have 15 glns.)
/QUOTE]

That would be the way I'd go.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will you pickle the tank?

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #16  
Suction filters are not required on log splitters, and may be dangerous to the pump.

A 10 to 25 micron return filter is all that is required.

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/770-10580%20Must%20Have%20Book%204/SECTION%206/6_two_stage_high_low_pump.pdf

The only thing I'd add is a 10 micron return filter.
Fixed clearance pumps like a 2-stage pump "wear-in" and the gears will take material off the housing.
So, a return filter is a must.

JJ, please educate us as to why you say this.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #17  
A suction filter, as the only filter, will filter any trash/debris/metal particles, rubber flakes in the tank before any pump. There is not supposed to be any debris/trash in the tank. In cold weather, and possibility of water in the fluid, a suction filter may totally freeze up. If you are going to use a suction or a return filter, it should have a bypass and even better a gage to remind one of time to change.

A return filter will filter the fluid that is moving through the pump, hoses, valves, cyl, motors, and if there is any debris, trash,rubber pieces, metal flakes, etc, the return filter should filter the fluid before it gets into the tank/reservoir. If you have a good hyd fill cap, and don't open it often, a tank/reservoir with return filter should be clean.

Can you use more than one filter, answer is yes. Perhaps a tank strainer filter, a suction filter, and a return filter, and a high pressure filter. There is really no reason to go over board, so the most used filter in a log slitter situation is a return filter.

Well, one of the most important reasons not to use suction filters, is that if it ever clogs up, and the pump cavitates, you will destroy the pump. Also, if it should clog up, and go to bypass, you are feeding unfiltered fluid to the pump.

Do I ever use suction filters. All the time with my variable speed pump/hydro-stat. Certain situations require suction filters. You definitely want to keep the fluid clean using these pumps. . It is a 10 micron filter, and I change it often.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter
Yes. You MUST have some kind of suction filter, not just a return filter. You don't want to suck the magnets into the pump. I've seen them before here...
Hydraulicstore.com Hydraulic Strainers

Suction strainers are even available with magnets on them already...
http://www.zinga.com/zImages/STRAINER_TFMAG.pdf

Like I said, it's not necessary to do this. It's just something you can do to capture metal particles. Good luck!

i wouldnt suck in the magnets cause I'll have a suction screen thing on the outlet side of the tank.
Try Dawn Dish Soap and 80% water. Cuts grease and oil, Rinses clean. No explosions..I just did it. Hooked a 12 volt. boat bilge pump to a hose on one end of the tank and another back to the pan the pump sat in. (3 gln ) Give it a few minutes and your tank will be clean. Kinda works as a Green Parts Washer. I wash a lot of stuff in that tub with Dawn. Or if you are in possestion of some Safety Solvent, ( recently banned due to ozone worries ) It cuts anything, Evaporates Super Quick and is Non Flamable. ( I have 15 glns.)
/QUOTE]

That would be the way I'd go.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will you pickle the tank?

What the heck is 'pickling the tank'?