Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hey all,

I have a 20/25 gallon hydraulic oil tank that I bought used off of Craigslist ($20 steal!). I've drained the little bit of oil out, but how do i 'flush' it to remove the little dirt and debris? It has a drain in the bottom along with a center baffle wall. I thought about putting clean hyd oil in a hand weed sprayer to use the pressure to push the dirt to the hole, but the hose pressure would be the easiest. Could i use the water and just open up all the plugs and let this black tank dry out in this crazy hot Ohio weather?

Almost forgot, this is for use on my homemade log splitter and here is a link to the tank from Northern's website: Buyers Hydraulic Reservoir — 25 Gallon | Tanks + Reservoirs | Northern Tool + Equipment

Let me know your thoughts.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #2  
I would do a diesel or better a gasoline rinse before the final water pressure flush. A half gallon sloshed for a few minutes will mobilize the sludge nicely. They rinse and put it in the sun with a cool hair drier blowing in the hole. Be sure to turn it and bounce it occasionaly to get water out of the corners.
larry

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter
I would do a diesel or better a gasoline rinse before the final water pressure flush. A half gallon sloshed for a few minutes will mobilize the sludge nicely. They rinse and put it in the sun with a cool hair drier blowing in the hole. Be sure to turn it and bounce it occasionaly to get water out of the corners.
larry

Thanks Larry, didn't even think about gas or diesel to slosh around. I'm going out to try that now.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #4  
I like Kerosene, it smells better than diesel. Gas can be dangerous.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #5  
I like Kerosene, it smells better than diesel. Gas can be dangerous.
I understand. Gas is a more active solvent tho and will do a better job and work more quickly. Control of the circumstances will sidestep the danger.
larry

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #6  
Try Dawn Dish Soap and 80% water. Cuts grease and oil, Rinses clean. No explosions..I just did it. Hooked a 12 volt. boat bilge pump to a hose on one end of the tank and another back to the pan the pump sat in. (3 gln ) Give it a few minutes and your tank will be clean. Kinda works as a Green Parts Washer. I wash a lot of stuff in that tub with Dawn. Or if you are in possestion of some Safety Solvent, ( recently banned due to ozone worries ) It cuts anything, Evaporates Super Quick and is Non Flamable. ( I have 15 glns.)

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #7  
I prefer Mineral Spirits for this type of stuff.

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #8  
I use kero all the time.....cleans good, low flash point and easily mixed in with your waste crankcase oil after you're done to be recycled (no disposal cost).....no rusting in your tank afterwards.......:thumbsup:

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #9  
Stuffing a high pressure sprayer head into every orifice will help clean the tank, too. Solids often get stuck down in the bottom with the slime on top. Hot soapy high pressure is even better. Your local car wash won't like you much:D.

Bob

/ Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter #10  
Try some purple power, that stuff cuts everything, just make sure you flush/dry it and get oil in it soon afterwards to prevent rust, any leftovers will get caught in your filter and should not gum up the splitter works.