Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter

Hey all,

I have a 20/25 gallon hydraulic oil tank that I bought used off of Craigslist ($20 steal!). I've drained the little bit of oil out, but how do i 'flush' it to remove the little dirt and debris? It has a drain in the bottom along with a center baffle wall. I thought about putting clean hyd oil in a hand weed sprayer to use the pressure to push the dirt to the hole, but the hose pressure would be the easiest. Could i use the water and just open up all the plugs and let this black tank dry out in this crazy hot Ohio weather?

Almost forgot, this is for use on my homemade log splitter and here is a link to the tank from Northern's website: Buyers Hydraulic Reservoir — 25 Gallon | Tanks + Reservoirs | Northern Tool + Equipment

Let me know your thoughts.
    1994 John Deere 265 Garden Tractor
    2004 24" MTD Snowblower
    Stihl MS441 20" bar
    Stihl MS460 25" bar
    Homemade Diesel Log Splitter (in progress)
    Hotblast 1557M Wood Furnace
    2005 Dodge 2500 QC LB 4x4 Cummins

Ice Cold Pabst

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Advice on Cleaning 20 Gallon Hydraulic Oil Tank for Log Splitter

I would do a diesel or better a gasoline rinse before the final water pressure flush. A half gallon sloshed for a few minutes will mobilize the sludge nicely. They rinse and put it in the sun with a cool hair drier blowing in the hole. Be sure to turn it and bounce it occasionaly to get water out of the corners.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    I would do a diesel or better a gasoline rinse before the final water pressure flush. A half gallon sloshed for a few minutes will mobilize the sludge nicely. They rinse and put it in the sun with a cool hair drier blowing in the hole. Be sure to turn it and bounce it occasionaly to get water out of the corners.
    larry
    Thanks Larry, didn't even think about gas or diesel to slosh around. I'm going out to try that now.
    1994 John Deere 265 Garden Tractor
    2004 24" MTD Snowblower
    Stihl MS441 20" bar
    Stihl MS460 25" bar
    Homemade Diesel Log Splitter (in progress)
    Hotblast 1557M Wood Furnace
    2005 Dodge 2500 QC LB 4x4 Cummins

Ice Cold Pabst

I like Kerosene, it smells better than diesel. Gas can be dangerous.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    I like Kerosene, it smells better than diesel. Gas can be dangerous.
    I understand. Gas is a more active solvent tho and will do a better job and work more quickly. Control of the circumstances will sidestep the danger.
    larry

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Iseki TA 247. Husqvarna 54", Cub Zero Turn.Polaris 850 ATV's Stihl 018 026 Pro, 029, 034 Super AV, 039, 044 Mag. Stihl Pole Saw.

Try Dawn Dish Soap and 80% water. Cuts grease and oil, Rinses clean. No explosions..I just did it. Hooked a 12 volt. boat bilge pump to a hose on one end of the tank and another back to the pan the pump sat in. (3 gln ) Give it a few minutes and your tank will be clean. Kinda works as a Green Parts Washer. I wash a lot of stuff in that tub with Dawn. Or if you are in possestion of some Safety Solvent, ( recently banned due to ozone worries ) It cuts anything, Evaporates Super Quick and is Non Flamable. ( I have 15 glns.)

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I prefer Mineral Spirits for this type of stuff.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

I use kero all the time.....cleans good, low flash point and easily mixed in with your waste crankcase oil after you're done to be recycled (no disposal cost).....no rusting in your tank afterwards.......
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Tank

Stuffing a high pressure sprayer head into every orifice will help clean the tank, too. Solids often get stuck down in the bottom with the slime on top. Hot soapy high pressure is even better. Your local car wash won't like you much.

Bob
    1972 Unimog 406
    1975 Unimog 406 (Case MB-4/94)
    1982 Unimog 406 (Case MB-4/94)
    Unimog implements: FEL, backhoe, backfill blade, box blade, 40 ft hydraulic crane, 3 point hitch and various implements.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4510

Try some purple power, that stuff cuts everything, just make sure you flush/dry it and get oil in it soon afterwards to prevent rust, any leftovers will get caught in your filter and should not gum up the splitter works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast