picked up a splitter, need lots of help *pics

/ picked up a splitter, need lots of help *pics #1  

stangkid14

Tractor
jd 4520
Well I bought a small farm last year and when the old man was moving his junk out I had my eye on this splitter. He didnt want to move it so i made an offer and bought it for $200. The engine he had on it died so its long gone. i have no idea what size pump is on it or what size engine i should buy. i would estimate it hasnt be run in 10 years. I think I should get a motor attached and see if any of the valves still work. then go from there, replacing lines as needed. what do you think?

It is a beast. Much bigger then the pics make it out to be. It has 4 cylinders on it. one horizontal splitter, a vertical splitter, a cylinder to raise/lower the vertical splitter, and a cylinder for a trailer jack. :confused2:

here are the pics. tell me how i should tackle this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/ picked up a splitter, need lots of help *pics #2  
Items I would check before doing a whole lot are:

Can you rotate the pump by hand? If the pump turns reasonably easy, it may be OK. Seals may have dry rotted could be another concern.

Is there oil in the reservoir? Is the inside of the reservoir full of rust, water etc.

Are any of the cylinder rods rusty? If yes is it just surface rust or major pitting? Major pitting will cause the seals to leak.

I didn't see any levers to operate the directional valves. May have missed them in the pictures.

I would expect the hoses to dry rotted and require replacing. Would also expect to have to flush the system to get the old oil, water etc. out.

Roy

/ picked up a splitter, need lots of help *pics
Items I would check before doing a whole lot are:

Can you rotate the pump by hand? If the pump turns reasonably easy, it may be OK. Seals may have dry rotted could be another concern.

Is there oil in the reservoir? Is the inside of the reservoir full of rust, water etc.

Are any of the cylinder rods rusty? If yes is it just surface rust or major pitting? Major pitting will cause the seals to leak.

I didn't see any levers to operate the directional valves. May have missed them in the pictures.

I would expect the hoses to dry rotted and require replacing. Would also expect to have to flush the system to get the old oil, water etc. out.

Roy

I can rotate the pump by hand, none of the cyliner rods are rusty suprisingly, all still shiny. picture 2 shows three valves and pic 4 shows 1 single vavle, with a broken handle.

I have not ipented the tank but I assume there is fluid in there. I def plan on flushing it out when i get the engine in.

/ picked up a splitter, need lots of help *pics #4  
Look at the hyd fluid, smell it, does it smell burned, water in fluid will be milky looking.

Why not just get a 5 HP engine and temporary connect a coupling to match the one there, or get a matched set, and try it out after checking fluid level.

Pump size really doesn't matter right now, as you want to see if it works. Can you tell if it is a single stage or a two stage pump?

Put a pressure gage on it and determine if things look good after the engine is running.

Check the relief pressures.