Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #1  

Amon

Tractor
NH 555E and NH L250
I'm new to the forums, but this looks like the best place to share info about tractors and backhoes and such.
I really want to add a grapple to my little L250, but it doesn't have the aux hydraulics for it. I'm fairly ignorant about hydraulics beyond replacing busted stuff and this will be my first modification.
Is tapping into the line that runs the bucket tilt a reasonable possibility?
Any suggestions appreciated, Thx.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #2  
I'm also ignorant on the subject but I'm also in the same place as you in wanting a grapple. There was a good post recently on it. Search for 'thumb' in the title.
Also there are a lot of interesting posts on a diverter. Search 'diverter' in the title.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #3  
W.R.Long the 4N1 Bucket People

I added one of their 4 in 1 buckets and auxillary hydraulic systems to my Kiotis (dealer installed the valve).

Works like a charm and I also the aux hydraulics to angle my snowplow.

Give them a call and see if they make a unit for your tractor.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #4  
I'm new to the forums, but this looks like the best place to share info about tractors and backhoes and such.
I really want to add a grapple to my little L250, but it doesn't have the aux hydraulics for it. I'm fairly ignorant about hydraulics beyond replacing busted stuff and this will be my first modification.
Is tapping into the line that runs the bucket tilt a reasonable possibility?
Any suggestions appreciated, Thx.

You can tap into the bucket tilt line with a flow diverter (as ragkar suggested). Another option is to replace your loader valve with a three spool valve.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #5  
Suggest you ask this question in your tractor's brand forum as there you probably will get more specific information as to your model by others that have already "paved the way".
I did just that several months ago in the NH forum hoping that others had already done a similar install but alas, I turned out to be the "paver" for others to follow if they chose to select my method of hydraulic install for the grapple. These forums are chock full of willing "pavers".:)

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #6  
Suggest you ask this question in your tractor's brand forum as there you probably will get more specific information as to your model by others that have already "paved the way".
I did just that several months ago in the NH forum hoping that others had already done a similar install but alas, I turned out to be the "paver" for others to follow if they chose to select my method of hydraulic install for the grapple. These forums are chock full of willing "pavers".:)

I've read a few discussions on pavers. Aren't they the stones that get pushed into the dirt so people can walk all over them. ;) I've been there.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple
Thx for all the starting points. I'm glad to find a place where people like to share their knowledge and experience.
I'm still active military, so I can only work on my stuff during long weekends, but I feel like I'm looking in the right place now. I'll be looking at my current valve to see if a larger 3 spool might fit there, and how I might get control levers there. Meanwhile, I've started looking in the other related forums for people doing similar mods. Thx all

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #8  
Amon,

Can you describe what you have for hyd now. Pump, FEL, 3pt , etc

Do you have a joystick valve?

Look at your valve and see if it has PB capability. Seven ports. IN , OUT, 4 work ports, and a PB port maybe.

Maybe pictures.

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple
I just found out that I might not be able to go home for another week or two; but, now that know a couple of the things to look for, I'll be able to get a more accurate description and some pictures of the existing components. I looked in a parts list to learn that there was more than one model of control valve used on the L250 so I'm eager to look at my machine now to see exactly what is in there. (assuming I ever get to go home again).

/ Adding hydraulics to operate a grapple #10