3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #1  

GlennaR

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L2800 HST with Woods hoe n loader
I have a L2800 HST Kub with a Woods BackHoe n Loader (great machine, just too bad the Kub is not American made - at least the hoe n loader is).

AnyWay, I am seriously considering purchasing a 3 point PowerHouse splitter (or similar - any suggestions). I am planning to keep the hoe mounted and using the two quick disconnects between the hoe n tractor in order to tap into the hydraulic flow n power the splitter.

My intentions are to build a waist height stand for the splitter and attach long hydraulic lines to it since I want to feed rounds to the splitter directly from the loader bucket onto the table of the splitter as I need it?

Does anyone know if I can simply add T fittings to the supply n return hoe lines with a quick connect so I can power the splitter? Just seems too simple to be true.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #2  
You don't have to tee into anything. Unplug the BH, and use those QD's for the log splitter. You will still need to bungee the levers if your valves are spring centered

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #3  
Not only is T-ing into the lines not necessary, but it won't work. Your backhoe is an open-center system. There is no pressure in the line until the backhoe control valves close off flow. If you T into the line, anytime you try to use the splitter, the hyd fluid will just continue to bypass your splitter through the backhoe. As JJ said, you need to disconnect that backhoe and hook up the splitter to the lines there.

As a 2nd option, you could hook up to the FEL quick connects also. I would suggest using the loader lift circuit. Once the splitter is hooked up, pull the joystick all the way to the rear and bungee it in that position. If the splitter goes the wrong diretion, then swap the quick connects. Do no try to use the joystick in the forward direction because that will probably go into float and you'll have no pressure. Also if you use the curl circuit, regenerative dump becomes a problem.

Your idea of putting the splitter on a platform is a great idea. You could also mount it on a small trailer and pull that around so that your unsplit rounds and/or split wood would be right there on the trailer to easily haul to your wood pile.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #4  
GlennaR,

These hose to the back, where are they coming from, a valve, or a hyd block? If coming from a hyd block, these hoses would be in the main flow path, and if not used for anything, they should be connected together. The fluid in this situation would have no other valve other than the log splitter valve, and that valve would provide the relief for the pump.

Where is the output of the BH valve going? Does it have PB, or just an OUT/tank port?

If the hoses are coming from the FEL valve, via a PB port, and not used they should also be connected together to complete the path to the 3pt.

Some log splitter valves have PB, and others do not.

The simple basic log splitter only has and IN, OUT, and two work ports. All the tractor fluid is flowing though the valve until you activate the the splitter. The cyl expended fluid and the tractor flow is flowing out the OUT hose. This Out hose would then pass the flow to the 3pt.

A log splitter valve with PB would be a good thing, because some valves can not take very much back pressure.

You might ask the manufacturer to install a log splitter valve with PB with your purchase, or you could replace it later if desired.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question
Thanks Jim n JJ,

I suspected there was lots more to it than I thought.

Honestly speaking, I am such a non professional owner/operator that I have not a clue what BH - EFL valve, PB (power beyond?) means, sorry.

Lots more learning to do for sure.....

For now I am on hold, thanks for cluing me in.........

Glennnnnnnnnn

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #6  
BH = backhoe
FEL = Front End Loader (not EFL)
PB = Power Beyond (a way of tying in more hydraulic equipment like your splitter)
3PH = Three Point Hitch
QC = Quick Connect hydraulic adapters
QA= Quick Attach (as in quick attach loader bucket)

You did exactly right and asked. Don't be intimidated by stuff you don't understand or know. There's somebody here who knows most of the details of your tractor. For specifics, you might post in the Kubota Owning/Operating forum for someone who has done exactly what you are considering.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question
You said "You don't have to tee into anything. Unplug the BH, and use those QD's for the log splitter. You will still need to bungee the levers if your valves are spring centered".

Just wondering, If I "unplug the BH", thus no hydraulic fluid is flowing thru the veins of the BH, it's valves n pistons. What does "bungee the levers" do when the BH is disconnected from the hydraulic system do?

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #8  
You only bungee the levers if you want fluid flowing to the BH , or log splitter.

If the fluid is flowing from a rear valve, the valve can shut it on and off. Either install QD in the work ports or plug the unused ports.

If you do not have a valve to supply the fluid, the two hoses coming from the FEL valve are used to supply the fluid for the BH and or the log splitter. If neither are being used, then plug the two hoses together.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #9  
Just wondering, If I "unplug the BH", thus no hydraulic fluid is flowing thru the veins of the BH, it's valves n pistons. What does "bungee the levers" do when the BH is disconnected from the hydraulic system do?

JJ is not talking about valves on the BH. He is talking about a "remote hydraulic" valve on the tractor. If you don't have a lever on the tractor that you have to throw to use the BH now, then it's not an issue.

Have you ever had your BH off your tractor? Did you disconnect the BH and then have to connect two hoses on the tractor to maintain hydraulic flow? If so, those hoses are where you hook up your splitter. However, if you leave those hoses disconnected while driving away from the backhoe to go to your splitter, you may put your hydraulic system into pressure relief. You probably need to hook the hoses together with the tractor not running, start the tractor and drive to the splitter, shut off the tractor and hook up the splitter, then start the tractor only after the splitter is hooked up. That will ensure the open center path for hydraulics is maintained without causing the system to go into high pressure relief. I'm just not sure on your Kubota and that's why I suggested you post in the Kubota Owning/Operating forum where somebody can tell you for sure.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO Hydraulic connection question #10  
Let me see if I can make this a little more clear.

Scenario #1 , You run a hose from the FEL PB port to the rear of the tractor with a male QD. You attach a hose to the input to the 3pt, and add a female QD. This is now your supply for a BH or log splitter. This circuit has to have hyd flow through it all times the engine is running. With no BH or log splitter, The 2 QD must be connected together.

Scenario # 2, The PB outlet form the FEL connects to the IN port to a valve at the rear. The PB port of the new valve will feed the 3pt. The OUT hose goes to tank. The work posts on this valve can have QD attached. The fluid is always flowing through this valve. When you unplug the BH or log splitter, no problem.

This set up requires the lever to be placed in the on position or bungeed to provide fluid for the work ports, which powers the BH and log splitter.

A 3 position detent valve at the back will eliminate the need to bungee.