Power Steering on Ford 3000-Help

/ Power Steering on Ford 3000-Help #1  

ddagenhart

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hello,

This is my first time on this--this is new to me.

I recently installed a new aftermarker power steering pump on my 3000 and the steering seemed to be fine but while bushhogging and bottoming out the steering to right or left to make a hard turn it seemed to want to drag to motor. After several turns the aluminum washers blew out from the banjo bolt on the back end of the cylinder closest to the steering wheel. Seems like there must be a lot of pressure building and not able to relieve. Any suggestions what may cause the drag on the motor when turning hard? Any advise very appreciated, Im at a loss.
Thanks!

/ Power Steering on Ford 3000-Help #2  
hyd pump coupled to motor = load.. more load= more drag on motor.

blown crush washers = to much pressure, or imperfect sealing urface, or insuficient fastener torque.

is the relief valve on the pump set excessively high? or does it even have a relief?

since it's after market.. not much to go on.. can you post the info on your setup?

soundguy

/ Power Steering on Ford 3000-Help
Soundguy--Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would...I had read some of your other feedback. The aftermarket pump is Anodulu (spelling?) I am not real familiar with pumps but all I had to do to install was hook up 2 hoses and attach the pump to the tractor. The gear on the pump meshed with the large gear on the front of the tractor just like the old pump was. While the tractor is at idle and turning the steering I don't notice any drag, I only notice it when I bottom the steering out. Would the pressure relief valve be visible on the pump....I don't know that there is anything else on the pump housing that is a relief valve of some sort. The washers that blew have been on there for eternity. I have new wahers ( I believe they are copper/brass) but have not tried it yet. Do you think it could just have been a week point since adding the new pump with everythnig being tight with the pump....I still just don't understand why the motor would drag, I am definitely not educated on this sort of thing. Thanks again. Should I try it with putting the new washers on and seeing,....just don't want to mess the motor up...could that happen?

/ Power Steering on Ford 3000-Help #4  
as I said before.. and load ont he engine will produce frag.. like hitting a huge clump of grass with the mower. the power steering pump is no different.. it's a direct load on the engine. when you are steered hard over, you are 'hopefully' sterring into the relief valve .. and that is a load on the engine, thus dragging rpm down.

I am not familiar with your pump if it has it's own relief, need to swap relief, or reset it's relief...

as to the old washers blowing out.. well? could just hav ebeen old and loose and used to the pressure your ?worn out? old pump was making.. or.. could mean system pressure is too high / no relief.

would really need to see the specs on the pump

soundguy