Position Control Explanation Sought

/ Position Control Explanation Sought #1  

Little_Grizzly

Silver Member
Tractor
Yuchai Dozer
Can someone explain to me how position control works? I'm looking for an explanation of the internals that make it happen. Is it possible to add position control to a tractor externally?

/ Position Control Explanation Sought #3  
Can someone explain to me how position control works? I'm looking for an explanation of the internals that make it happen. Is it possible to add position control to a tractor externally?

I presume you talking about 3 point hitch. My thought would be no since on most tractors all of the valving and linkage would be very hard to access.

/ Position Control Explanation Sought
Perfect! Thank you for the link. I googled all over the place and could not find an answer.

/ Position Control Explanation Sought #6  
My thought would be no since on most tractors all of the valving and linkage would be very hard to access.

And you'd be partially incorrect :)

position control, at it's most basic, is a feedback system... it can be purely mechanical in nature with linkages that sense movement and adjust external levers...

i've seen PLENTY of 'bolt on' feed back systems that basically had a fixture added tot he side of the 3pt lift arm, that then used a rod linkage and some slip and spring or friction joints that essentially went to the 3pt lift handle.

of course specific geometry of the 3pt lift rocker and the 3pt quadrant will mean each setup will be different.. but external add on position control has been available almos since the 3pt was popped out by ole harry. one of the first ones was the 'fergy positioner'..

here's a pic of a similar device that will fit an old ford 9n/2n, and probably a ferguson TX 20/30.. remember.. those tractors were out in the late 30's, and 40's... the box end to the lower left of the pic bolts to the 3pt rocker side.. then the arm goes over and the shackle on the upper right attaches around the 3pt control handle. you will notice a teardrop shaped 'lever' in the center that is coupled to the box end with a bolt/nut and there is friction material betwixt them, ie.. allowing you to cahnge the position of the teardrop lever with respect to the box end.. then if the 3pt position changes.. for instance, drops, then it tugs on the 3pt handle in an upward motion, thus lifting the 3pt again.. this lifting them pushes back on the 3pt handle until it finds a happy medium.. thus the 3pt stays where you put it...

position control at it's most basic form...

soundguy

Attachments

• position control device.jpg
    position control device.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 184