Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #1  

wburress

Tractor
Deutz Allis 5215
I bought a Deutz Allis 5215 about a month ago. The 3 point lift lift worked fine when I checked it out before buying it. When I got it home and mowed for about 3 hours the lift quit working. The hydraulic fluid was milky. I drained the fluid by jacking up the front end removing the plug and let it drain overnight. The next day I changed the filter and refilled the hyd system with 4.5 gals of hyd fluid. Tested It about 20 times by standing on the lift and raising it. It worked fine. I put my landscape rake on it and began to grade the gravel driveway after about 30 minutes of use the 3 point hitch would not raise again. I checked the fluid and it was milky again. I disconnected the high pressure line off of the hyd pump put a drain pan under it removed the fill plug and started the tractor. The pump spewed out milky fluid and water droplets.I left it running while I poured about another 2 gals of hyd fluid in. The fluid was still totally milky. Anyone know how to flush this thing out. I can't keep pouring expensive hyd fluid in while the hyd line is disconnected until it flows clear!!! Help please.:confused:

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #2  
You should have taken out the bottom drain from the tank, and let the tractor sit for a while. Then remove some hoses and use air to blow out all the hyd lines.

That emulsified mixture of water and hyd fluid has coated all the parts of the system, and it will maybe require 1 to 3 flushes, for it to look normal.

Once the hyd tank is full, cycle all the cyl's to expel any air that might be in the system.

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid
Thank you for the reply. I jacked the front end of the tractor up before I pulled the drain plug to keep it on an angle and let it sit overnight with a drip pan under it before I refilled it. It worked fine for a little while and I thought I had the problem resolved. I think the fluid just has to much water in it to work. I'm going to drain it again tomorrow blow the lines out with compressed air and replace the filter and fluid. Would water in the fluid prevent the lift from working in this tractor? My Jubilee lift would work fine with with milky fluid. P.S. I went to school at NAS Jacksonville when I was in the Marines. Nice area.

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #4  
The water mixed fluid would work, but is not good for all the components. Acids and other formulations may develop and ruin things in time, and you would probably lose some efficiency.

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid
Today I learned a lesson in fluid mechanics. The hyd fluid I put in was Extreme universal fluid I bought at Tractor Supply Co. The guy I bought the tractor from said to use universal fluid. After some research I found out the 3 point lift and transmission use SAE 80 gear lube. The universal fluid is SAE 20. I drained out the universal fluid blew the lines out with compressed air refilled with SAE 80 gear lube and it worked fine. Thanks for the replys.

Last edited:
   / Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #6  
I have a Deutz-Allis 5220 tractor which I purchased some years ago used for $3000. It has served me well around our home. I have never changed the hydraulic fluid and filter due to lack of information. I think I have identified and ordered the fuel, oil & hydraulic filters. The types of fluid needed for engine and hydraulics have eluded me. Can anyone help?

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #7  
I have a Deutz-Allis 5220 tractor which I purchased some years ago used for $3000. It has served me well around our home. I have never changed the hydraulic fluid and filter due to lack of information. I think I have identified and ordered the fuel, oil & hydraulic filters. The types of fluid needed for engine and hydraulics have eluded me. Can anyone help?

Best advice is check to see what type of fluid is in the hydraulic system today. I would suspect that it is universal hydraulic fluid.

/ Deutz Allis 5215 water in hydraulic fluid #8  
I have a 5220. I use the tractor supply premium universal fluid. Mine is a hydro model. I researched the crap out of the filters. I ended up buying ones from the dealer. They had a agco number on them but looked like painted over napa filters. $100 each but I couldn't find a cross..