Cushioning a bucket cylinder

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX23
When I dump a load out of my FEL bucket, the bucket hits the stops very hard. I have had to reweld the stops on the loader arms. What I would like to do is machine a new piston to include a cusioning effect on the extended end of the stroke. What I don't know, is the clearance needed between the cylinder and the cushioning end of the piston. This is on a BX23, which has only one bucket cylinder.

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #2  
When I dump a load out of my FEL bucket, the bucket hits the stops very hard. I have had to reweld the stops on the loader arms. What I would like to do is machine a new piston to include a cusioning effect on the extended end of the stroke. What I don't know, is the clearance needed between the cylinder and the cushioning end of the piston. This is on a BX23, which has only one bucket cylinder.

Not sure what clearance you will need but to figure flow through an orifice the formula is:

Q = 24.12A *(square root of pressure drop)

Q = flow in GPM
A = area of orifice in inches squared.

Example: .093 diameter orifice at 1000 PSI will pass around 5 GPM

Another possible simpler option is putting an orifice in the rod end fitting. This will have to be sized so that it limits dump speed but does not limit curl function. Since these are regen dump circuits you will have to figure out extend volume on the cylinder in regen mode. To do this measure you rod diameter and then figure extend speed using the rod area and pump volume.

Cylinder velocity in inches per second is figured with the following formula:

Q = VA

Q = flow in cubic inches per second To convert GPM into cubic inches per second multiply GPM by 3.85
V = Velocity in inches per second
A = area in square inches.
Roy

Last edited:
   / Cushioning a bucket cylinder #3  
I believe there are stroke limiters that go inside the cyl to limit rod travel.

or

Just pad the stops with thick rubber.

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #4  

As was said, pad the stops. No need to tear the cylinder apart.

Also paying closer attention to the bucket position helps too.... in other words let up when dumping the bucket.

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder
I have already installed an adjustable flow valve on the dump side (exaust) side of the cylinder. It makes the dump cycle a little slow.

I don't want to just 'limit' the stroke, as I really need the full dump when loading a pickup or trailer. Would like to just slow down the speed about 1/2 to 1 inch before full dump.

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #6  
In industrial practice a cushion is actually a tapered etension on the nut end of the piston and it fits inside a conical depression machined into the butt of the cylinder body limiting the flow as the tapered plug enters the tapered socket. it is a simple comcept but requires a specially designed cylinder. Check with a specialy cylinder manufaturer in your area.

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #9  
Good lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you need is a standard cushion valve and a machined stop tube for your bucket cylinders thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have described stop tubes here in great detail previously and that will be more benefitial to you than machining new pistons and less costly as you can
simply bore out a piece of bronze bar stock 1/32 of an inch larger than the outside diameter of the cylinder rod. Bronze is preferred as it will not damage the chrome plating on the cylinder rod. _________________________________________________________________
Once you go flail you never go back:thumbsup::licking::drool:

/ Cushioning a bucket cylinder #10  
Just bolt or glue some tire tread to the stop plates.