Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it?

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #21  
I would definitely hold on to it. I can see it being used as the lift for a dump bed trailer pulled behind your tractor. Or, maybe even a jack of some sort. I know about 3 or 4 welders all within a stone's throw of us.

Hawk

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #22  
How about using it to make a press. I have used something like this to power a floor jack. The same time you sell it you will find ten uses for it.

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it?
I would definitely hold on to it. I can see it being used as the lift for a dump bed trailer pulled behind your tractor. Or, maybe even a jack of some sort. I know about 3 or 4 welders all within a stone's throw of us.

Hawk

Hawk,

That is GOOD INFO! Thank you sir!

I could be wrong here, but it looks like a SA cylinder that is powered in RETRACT only.

IMO, that really limits what you can do with it. If it were a push/extend under power cylinder, I would probabally hold on to it.

With that said, I think I would sell it. It doesnt appear that the rod is in great shape anyway, and probabally will either drip/leak, or need rebuilt soon. And who knows about the pump unit. I would probabally hold onto that IF it is 12v and works. That way, if you ever have the need, you already have the powersource, because those things run $500+ new. But the cylinder, odds are it wont be the right size anyway IF and WHEN you ever have a need for one.

LD1,

Agreed, given the location of the hyd it MUST be powered retract only.

For the moment, I'm keeping BOTH. I'm doing it for Justin. Justin Case...
:)

David

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #24  
Holding onto them for a while certainly wont hurt.

But the problem is IF it is a retract only SA cylinder, all of these great suggestions are about usless.

Like a press, dump bed, dump trailer, floor jack...etc. ALL need power in the extend direction. I just dont see a feesable way to use that cylinder for those ideas:confused:

Holding onto them for a while certainly wont hurt.

But the problem is IF it is a retract only SA cylinder, all of these great suggestions are about usless.

Like a press, dump bed, dump trailer, floor jack...etc. ALL need power in the extend direction. I just dont see a feesable way to use that cylinder for those ideas:confused:

LD1,

SSSHHHH!

Don't tell anyone this...

I'm going to use it to raise the hidden door to the Bat Cave...

But please keep my secret identity, you know... SECRET! :D

Seriously, I have no idea what to do with it, but some guy on TBN will know just what it's good for...

I can wait for a while.
David

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #26  
Moss i would keep it. even if its retract only you may one day have use for it in the place of a porta power pulling ram. it was a freebie and dont cost nothing to store and i bet you will find use for it. let us know if it extends or retracts under power.

earl

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #27  
David we gotta help you get to welding, let us know when your "ship comes in" and we will help you get started. Now I wouldn't make a "pimple" on a good welders... but I have been welding for about 15 or 20 years or so, and it is a lot of fun, and useful for repairing things and building things. DC stick is a good way to start in my opinion. A lot of guys start with a cheap AC stick machine. I welded a lot of things with my AC stick machine, and it is now for sale. Got my first DC machine and haven't looked back. Just so much nicer to run, and so many more possibilitys. But don't get me wrong my old AC machine does not owe me a dime. Probably paid for itself the first couple of weeks, gluing my MTD built riding lawn mower back together that I was busy abusing instead of using a real tractor. Things fell off of that mower about every other time I used it. Well anyway I ramble on.. let us know when you want some info..

James K0UA

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #28  
why would you think that is a retract only? single acting cylinders have to have a vent on the other side.you just swap the vent with the hose and the cylinder goes in the opposite way.

/ Found this in an old outbuilding - What is it? #29  
why would you think that is a retract only? single acting cylinders have to have a vent on the other side.you just swap the vent with the hose and the cylinder goes in the opposite way.

Not necessarially. It depends on what the seals are like inside. If they are a single lip and only designed to seal one direction....

Sure it would work, but you would constantally be blowing by oil and out the vent.

Plus most that I have seen, the vent port is MUCH smaller than it hyd-in port

David we gotta help you get to welding, let us know when your "ship comes in" and we will help you get started. Now I wouldn't make a "pimple" on a good welders... but I have been welding for about 15 or 20 years or so, and it is a lot of fun, and useful for repairing things and building things. DC stick is a good way to start in my opinion. A lot of guys start with a cheap AC stick machine. I welded a lot of things with my AC stick machine, and it is now for sale. Got my first DC machine and haven't looked back. Just so much nicer to run, and so many more possibilitys. But don't get me wrong my old AC machine does not owe me a dime. Probably paid for itself the first couple of weeks, gluing my MTD built riding lawn mower back together that I was busy abusing instead of using a real tractor. Things fell off of that mower about every other time I used it. Well anyway I ramble on.. let us know when you want some info..

James K0UA

James,

You ARC weld and not Oxy/Acetylene? I don't think I've EVER seen a DC unit... My JR and SR years of HS I worked in a Diesel Truck shop with my step-dad. I was "the flunky" but I did, one time get to weld a mud flap bracket back on. It was UGLY, but it held. I used a stick welder then.

I'm have borrowed an oxy/acetylene cutting rig from a buddy to cut some of my scrap metal into 4' lengths (because they pay better for it & some stuff is so huge I cannot get it on my truck or trailer).

I also have quite a bit of aluminum (angle mostly, some like hand rail tubing things too) but that is a whole different ballgame if I recall...

A welder is on my list for sooner, rather than later. I will start a threat asking what kind I should buy etc when I have some coin in my pocket again. (Approx how much $$ do I need to plan for?).

SLHawkins is close to me, when he gets back from A-Stan he will hook me up with some buddies who weld, and one of my church buddys (I borrowed the cutting rig from him) knows how to weld, he just sold his rig a few years ago. I think I will rent a rig and he and I will make a ballast box thing on of these weekends.

Be well,
David

Thanks,

David