Logsplitter log lift too fast

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast #1  

plb739

Tractor
1256 IH
I built a logsplitter with a 16 hp Vanguard B&S, a 28gpm pump and a AutoCycle valve. I have a log lift plumbed from the Power Beyond port on the AutoCycle. I used 1/2" line to lift valve and came out to cyclinder with 1/4" lines. I still have too much speed on the lift. It will throw the wood. I want to be able to adjust speed when lifting without decreasing power. Lowering the lifter is not a problem. Can I use a Prince inline flow control valve at the IN Port on the lift valve, or the out port on the AutoCycle. Which size? Space and fittings are not an issue. Can I use a 1/4" valve. Does it need to control flow in both directions, as in a needle valve. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast #2  
You could probably put a needle valve and adjust to suit, but you should have feather on your log lift valve also. You don't have to push the lever all the way.

Yes, you could also use the Prince flow control valve and regulate the GPM's to the valve, and what you don't use, will go to tank.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7961-12&catname=hydraulic

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4169-12&catname=hydraulic

Is the log splitter valve you are using?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7414&catname=hydraulic

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast
Thanks for the reply. I am using a Prince AutoCycle valve with Power Beyond for the splitter ram. It works great. I came out of the PB port with a 1/2" line to a Prince 3000 valve for the log lift. I used 1/4" lines from the valve to the lift cyclinder. I can feather the valve but it really needs less speed lifting. If I get in a hurry it will fling the log. What I am considering is a Prince Inline Needle Valve like Surpluss Center's #9-7961 as on page 30 of their catalog. Either in a 1/4" or 3/8" size or a 1/2". I think I can mount it either on the IN Port of the lift valve or the PB Port of the splitter valve. I do not want to decrease the power of the lift, only the speed. I don't want to use the type of flow valve that requires a return to the tank.

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast #4  
So you are using two different valves for the setup? Is your log splittter valve designed for 28 GPM's?

If you are running at max rpm,you are putting out about 28 GPM through the log splitter valve and then going to the log lift. If you restrict the flow, you will affect other things in the flow path.

What I would recommend is to use the priority flow dividervalve.

Surplus Center

Look through the list and select the valve that will give your log lift the GPM's you want, The log lift will always get a certain amount of fluid, and the rest of the flow will go to tank. 3 or 4 GPM's might work for you.

The PB out flow will go to the flow divider and then the priority flow will go to the lift valve. The rest of the flow can tee with the out of the valve out hose.

Last edited:
   / Logsplitter log lift too fast #5  
You don't want to restrict flow in the path the 28 gpm is taking! It will just heat the fluid up. You probably want an adjustable flow divider or a much larger cylinder on the lifter. Restrictors in the 1/4" line might help your feathering abiltiy but chances are the valve just isn't a meant for feathering.

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast #6  
The priority divider valve will solve all that.

I am using a Prince Auto Cycle #RD 523-MMEE5A4C1 for the splitter ram. It is rated at 25 max gpm and 3000 max psi. Surplus Center # is 9-6587. The ram cyclinder is a 4" bore with 2" rod and SAE 8 ports. Cycle time is around 10 seconds. A 1/2" hose comes out of the PB port on the ram valve to the lift valve. This valve is a Prince LS3000 rated at 25 gpm and 2750 max psi. It is Surplus Center #9-1262 and both valves are on page 17 of Surplus Center catalog. I reduced the work ports down to use 1/4" hoses. I run the engine at a fast idle and have not used it a lot but have not found any thing I cannot split. I can feather the valve, however, there are going to others using the splitter. To be safe I need to make sure lift moves at slow speed. I would like to use a Inline Flow Control Valve or a Inline Needle valve mounted on the IN port of the lift valve or on one of the 1/4" hoses. These valves are $60 cheaper and I would not have to alter the return plumbing. That said I want it to work properly. My returns hoses from both valves are 1" teed together and then increased to 1-1 /4" to a 70 gpm filter. My tank is 25 gal. with a 50 gal strainer. Thanks again.

/ Logsplitter log lift too fast #8  
You might want to try one of these one way flow restirctors.
Surplus Center
Install in line coming out of the lift valve to cylinder so it resticts flow going into cylinder to lift but leaves full flow to lower.

Thanks for the reply. These are not adjustable and I don't know if the smallest is small enough. I am looking at the #9-7960-12 [or smaller] which is an Inline Flow Control Valve by Prince and is adjustable 0-15 with 1/2" ports.

I think it would be best mounted at the IN port of the lift valve or on the work port going to the lift side of the cyclinder as SSdoxie suggests. I don't know enough about hydraulic systems to know if this is the best solution, Inline or priorty divider valve as J J and slowzuky suggest. Thanks again for replies.