Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another???

/ Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another???
David, maybe cause you thought why replace the whole hose when you just need a new fitting and as long as you have enough length(the new fitting will shorten it up some although putting 90's in will give a little of that back). You might want to do one 90 and one 45 so you route them together or at least add a short nipple to one so you can route them side by side.

One of the things I was not impressed with as I got into tractoring was the lack of protection they gave hydraulic hoses. I have put rubberwrap (strips of old tire innertube) and chafing gear (old fire hose works great) in several places on mine.

We always keep a bunch of the old style clamp together fittings on the boat so we can quickly repair a hose and keep on fishing.

Rick,

Agreed, not enough protection of the hyd connectors...

I think there is slack at the other end, and this is the fixed length side, the other side (on the grapple itself) has a wide range of motion...

I'm going to do both. I'm going to get a new hose, and I'm going to crimp a new connector on also. Double back-up...

David

Last edited:
   / Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another??? #12  
David, breaking it didn't take too long :D. I would go to a hydraulic shop with the parts... Do you know if TSC sells JIC, NPT, SAE or GKW (God Knows What ;)) threaded ends. I've been there and it's confusing. Do you know what threads you have on each end of the hose now?

I know I live in gods country ... my local TSC can determine JIC, NPT, SAE and even GKW.

David, maybe cause you thought why replace the whole hose when you just need a new fitting and as long as you have enough length(the new fitting will shorten it up some although putting 90's in will give a little of that back). You might want to do one 90 and one 45 so you route them together or at least add a short nipple to one so you can route them side by side.

One of the things I was not impressed with as I got into tractoring was the lack of protection they gave hydraulic hoses. I have put rubberwrap (strips of old tire innertube) and chafing gear (old fire hose works great) in several places on mine.

We always keep a bunch of the old style clamp together fittings on the boat so we can quickly repair a hose and keep on fishing.

I'm betting the entire hose from TSC will cost less than the repair ... I agree with the 90's, the 45's ... they also sell them at TSC.

I know I live in gods country ... my local TSC can determine JIC, NPT, SAE and even GKW.

I'm betting the entire hose from TSC will cost less than the repair ... I agree with the 90's, the 45's ... they also sell them at TSC.

blueriver,

I was just going to ask, where does one go for hyd parts (I want to replace he hose AND put 90's or 45's etc. on).

Now I wont ask! :thumbsup:

Thank you!

I have some VERY good friends from OK, ad they would agree with you that OK is God's country. I grew up in Oregon back before it became Godless Country and once I moved to VA I must tell you I love this land, scarred by the Civil War battles. So at least my 51 acres of VA is God's Country to me!

I will go by TSC on my way home from work today and I will post pics after I fix it.

Be well and thanks for the advice.

David

/ Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another??? #14  
I would buy the proper hose and replaceable ends and replace it my self. The airquip type replaceable fittings (many companies make similar) have never failed me. This kind of fitting requires a hose that it will work with. If it breaks again just screw a new end on.

I looked at the size of hose most prevalant on my tractor and bought 25' and a few common fittings to on hand. If I don't have the proper fitting I can buy them locally.

Discount Hydraulic Hose.com is a good source for hose, ends and advice.

/ Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another??? #15  
If you are having a hose made, you might see if they can put a 90 fitting on that end and get an elbow for the other hose. That way one will stick out more than the other and they wont interfere with each other.

Aaron Z

/ Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another??? #16  
My vote is to repair that hose and keep it for a spare.

My vote is to repair that hose and keep it for a spare.

If you are having a hose made, you might see if they can put a 90 fitting on that end and get an elbow for the other hose. That way one will stick out more than the other and they wont interfere with each other.

Aaron Z

I would buy the proper hose and replaceable ends and replace it my self. The airquip type replaceable fittings (many companies make similar) have never failed me. This kind of fitting requires a hose that it will work with. If it breaks again just screw a new end on.

I looked at the size of hose most prevalant on my tractor and bought 25' and a few common fittings to on hand. If I don't have the proper fitting I can buy them locally.

Discount Hydraulic Hose.com is a good source for hose, ends and advice.

EXCELLENT Ideas.
I will attempt all three!

Thanks,
David

Update - I found a Parker Hannefin shop. He cut off the busted connector and put a 90 on it, and I bought a new line just like it had been, with a 90 on it. I also bought a 90 degree fitting for the other line. They SHOULD route together no problems. I also bought more heavy black tie wraps

It was too late when I got home, and too dark outside.

I will install the new line and the fitting tomorrow and reprot back here with pics and status, probably after work though...

Thanks,
David

Update 2 - After breakfast (my meetings for today changed and I'm working from home) I dashed out and partially fixed my grapple hyd situation...

As sugested by SSdoxie, I changed this to 90 degree connections so they do not stick out as far.

All I have left to do is finish routing and tie down the Hyd lines, and reconnect the quick connects for the tractor end, and the grapple.

It started raining, and I needed to do some work-work so I will do that likely after lunch.

So... Any thoughts on this setup? Does it look good?

PS - I noticed that the paint was rubbed off by that same cedar that hit the line...

Be well all o y'all!
David

Attachments

• Fixed Hyd Line.jpg
    Fixed Hyd Line.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 158
   / Broke off a Hyd crimp connector - Can I cut it off and crimp on another??? #20  
Looks good David, did that cedar knock off the nut that holds your hose guard plate to the crossbar or did you take it off?

Right after I got my 2800 I was clearing brush in Oregon before I brought it home. The guy at the local auto parts store where I had to go to get a new belt after I stuck a branch into the 4 hour old belt reminded me it was a tractor and not a bulldozer!