B21 FEL Boom Float Detent Repair

/ B21 FEL Boom Float Detent Repair #1  

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
The CA Cascades in the shadow of Mt. Lassen
Tractor
LS G3038, JD GT275, and Bolins H16
Anyone. The float detent in my B21's boom control valve has never worked (used tractor purchase) - it is supposed to lock when the lever is snapped all the way forward but it does not. The float works fine as long as I hold the lever forward but this is simply unworkable for any road work - I do a fair amount of back dragging with my FEL but it work oh so much better if I could put it into float and have it stay there.

I know the detent balls, or some part of that system is gummed up, the question is, do I have to pull the whole otherwise perfectly functioning valve and do a complete disassembly/reassembly (new o-rings etc) or can I simply pull off the bottom cap to get to the detent assembly? The page from my factory manual is attached.

Attachments

• New Picture.jpg
    New Picture.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 256
   / B21 FEL Boom Float Detent Repair #2  
Just pull off the bottom cap and clean and lube. If it is rusty, you night have to replace the spool as you usually can not just replace the spool. You might be able to replace the springs and balls. Be careful when removing as the springs and balls will get lost.

Put a strong magnet close by the cap when removing.

You might be able to rotate the spool 1/2 turn and find a good spot for the balls to catch and hold.